Chapter Seven

He was silent for a few more bites of spaghetti. The witch had long lost her appetite, but she didn't want to be passing out from hunger. Nor did she want to say much more.

"Answer my question." Sebastian said finally, "Why have you been forgetting to eat?"

She debated whether or not to tell him the truth. It would answer his question on why she forgot to eat sometimes. It would answer why she couldn't sleep at night. It would reveal to him the whole truth. Moments like this where Sebastian didn't get angry and walk away or insult her were quite rare. It would be best, she thought, not to waste this opportunity.

So... She made her decision.

Séraphine would tell him the truth.

She would tell him what happened that night.

And she wouldn't just tell him.

She'd show him.

The Whole Truth: Part One

Séraphine regarded him coldly, taking note of his clenched jaw and the scowl forming on his lips. "The same reason why I have trouble sleeping and doing anything, really. I'm trying to find a cure for Anne. I'm not sure why it's such a difficult concept for you to understand, but I love Anne dearly like family. You're not the only one in pain."

He flinched inwardly from her metaphor. "I don't understand why you had to be the hero and run outside to help to help. How stupid could you be?"

Séraphine scowled, "If you're going to act like that, I'm leaving." She went to stand up to leave, but Sebastian grabbed her robed and yanked her back down to her seat. "Sebastian." Her scowl worsened as she stared up at him, "Are you sure you want to know?"

His eyebrows scrunched forward, "Why wouldn't I want to know?"

"Because it's the first time you've asked me what really happened and it's been over half a year."

"You disappeared for a few weeks afterwards-"

Séraphine quickly interrupted him, "Because my family caught wind that I'd almost been cursed and they're so obsessed with me being fit to marry-that they didn't want damaged goods!"

"Marry?" He blinked, his head raising from his palm, "What do you mean marry? Are you betrothed?!"

"Will you hush?" She was well aware of the House Elves turning in their direction at his outburst, "Why don't we have this conversation in the Undercroft?"

He didn't say anything, but nodded. It was an afterthought when he said, "Finish your food first. Otherwise Ominis will kill me."

Twenty minutes later, Séraphine was stuffed. They'd passed by the Library and though it was almost curfew; she wanted to stop and grab a couple books regarding how to better prepare Horklump juice. Each time she would wring it like a towel and it would end up getting everywhere.

Sebastian opened the door to the Undercroft, allowing her to go in first before following her in. She casted the Blasting charm in order to light the chandeliers.

"I can either show you or tell you." Séraphine crossed her arms, looking at him seriously.

He raised an eyebrow, "Did you put a Pensieve in here when Ominis and I weren't paying attention?"