Chapter Twenty Nine

Her mind felt like it was in a fog. The journal slipped from her fingers, hitting the ground with a soft thump. It didn't make sense. The note Sebastian had found left in their home was enchanted with Anne's magic and told him that she'd died. They'd have to check the death registry to see what it said about Anne Sallow.

But now this opened up a can of flobberworms. What they knew for sure: Anne was dead. The cause of death? Uncertain.

If a cure had been found for Anne...

And Séraphine trusted Professor Sharp whole heartedly that he had...

... And the younger Sallow twin was serious about finding out what had happened to them...

Did this mean that the curse didn't kill Anne?

Did this mean Anne Sallow was murdered?

To Tell Him or Not To Tell Him

Sebastian found her pacing back and forth. The death registry confirmed Anne Sallow had died due to complications from an unknown curse with no cure. However, the registry also confirmed something else very interesting. Aesop Sharp died a day after that last entry was written due to accidentally ingesting Runespoor venom from his classroom during a lecture when he mistaking grabbed a bottle of venom instead of creamer for his tea.

It sent another wave of grief, threatening to overwhelm her. Sharp. He'd almost been like a father figure to her at times. And he'd died before his time too. How did Professor Hecat take the news?

And how would an esteemed Potioneer like Aesop Sharp mistake clear venom in a bottle for milky white creamer? It was malveillant. Absolutely incredulous that any Ministry Officiel would accept such a report.

"Will you stop pacing and tell me what happened?" His voice was impatient and filled with anxiety just watching her. "Tell it to me bluntly as you always do."

Séraphine stopped in front of him. "I need you to take a deep breath. You cannot spiral and you need to understand that there is nothing at the moment we can do. Do you hear me?"

"Yes."

"Bastien. I'm being sérieux."

He nodded, scowling. "Séra."

Taking a deep breath, she handed him the journal. "I found Professor Sharp's journal while looking for books on potions. In it, he says that Anne was cured. The Phoenix Tears worked."

"What?!" A growl emanated from his broad chest, snatching the journal from her hands. He opened up to the first page, taking his time to read each of the entires one by one. When he got to the last page, his eyes were nearly black with outrage. The air around him was dense and palpable. "How? How is this possible?"

She bit her lip, anxiety pooling in her stomach. "I checked the death registry. Anne was confirmed to have died from the effects of an unknown curse, but Professor Sharp died a day after that last journal entry. Supposedly, he ingested Runespoor venom by accident. Mistook the bottle of venom when he was reaching for creamer in his tea."

"Tea?" Sebastian squinted at her, "Professor Sharp didn't like tea. He drank that American coffee rubbish."

Coffee wasn't rubbish, but she had to admit she didn't care for it. Too strong, too bitter. Maybe if there was a way to make it sweeter without adding loads of sugar cubes; she'd enjoy it.