Chapter Five

"You are now Seventh Years. You should be able to demonstrate this spell on command." Professor Hecate reflected, dropping the student lightly to the ground. "One thing I've learned as an Unspeakable is the value of simplicity, especially in the heat of battle. Remember, a surprised opponent is a weak opponent-as master Prewett so artfully helped me to demonstrate earlier."

Sebastian snickered, causing the Professor's attention to be directed back to him. Her tone turned sly, "The best way is to practice is by dueling. Mr. Sallow, thank you for volunteering. And joining him will be...."

Professor Hecat turned towards Séraphine, knowing about their previous involvement in Crossed Wands as they both particularly liked to duel.

"I volunteer!" Catherine stepped forward, moving to stand next to Sebastian. Her green eyes were bright with vivid excitement, "I've been told I'm rather adept at dueling."

The Professor nodded, "Duelists, take your marks."

Sebastian brushed past her, the smirk still on his face. "Time for a proper Hogwarts welcome."

When he chuckled and their eyes connected, Séraphine saw the way her features softened. She saw the moment Catherine fell for him

...And it make her sick.

Not a Fair Fight

Catherine and Sebastian faced each other. She didn't have a proper dueling posture. She stood there with both of her feet side by side-not even placing them shoulder length apart to give herself a more sturdy bearing. Sebastian, on the other hand, was in a combative stance as he waited for the Professor's signal.

"Now, I want a fair duel using only Levioso, a basic cast, and Protego." The platform raised underneath them as confidence grew in Sebastian's eyes. "You may begin."

Sebastian scratched his head, appearing nonchalant as he regarded Catherine, "This should be easy."

She threw a basic cast of magic towards him. He casted Protego, watching her send cast after cast, unable to break his protective charm. The other students began to whisper.

'This is boring...'

'She can't beat Sebastian. Only Séraphine has.'

At the sound of her name, Catherine's eyes appeared to harden and Séraphine watched as her left hand twirled while her wand hand shot out another cast to distract everyone. No visible magic erupted from her left hand, but she jumped when the Protection charm shattered and Sebastian was hit with the Levioso charm.

He raised in the air, surprised that a simple cast broke his shield. "This can't be your first duel."

Catherine sent him a flirty, confident smile. "Let's just say I'm a quick learner."

"If only all of my students were this adept." Professor Hecat regarded lightly, noticing Sebastian's bewildered expression.

Séraphine knew he was still too focused trying to think about how she broke through his charm. It was making him distracted that he wasn't paying attention to her spells now at all. When one basic cast sent him stumbling back, that appeared to bring back his determination. Sebastian spun around, casting Stupefy and three basic casts to overwhelm her. He finished it with a cast of Levioso that sent her soaring into the air.