Chapter Fifty

Hi, folks! This is a shorter chapter. I have hurt my hand and it's hard to type but I wanted to get something posted! This on is for ChikaNwabunwanne8. Thank you for being a loyal reader and keeping me on my toes! ;-)

>>>>><<<<<

Carter's POV:

I never did go back to sleep last night. Instead, I went to the library to find a book to read. I have no idea where Liam went but I can only guess that he went to sleep in a guest room to give me some privacy. Not really sure why it matters now. The weirdest thing that happened after I woke up was that I found some warm tea and two cups sitting in the library when I went in. It seems I wasn't the only person that couldn't sleep but I have no idea who it was.

Here I am, in Liam's room looking at myself in the mirror in a black, knee-length dress and some black heels preparing myself to go to Karin's funeral. Just as I was thinking about Liam, he comes through the door in a black suit and tie with matte black dress shoes. He leans against the door and just stares at me while I look back at him through the mirror.

I have to remind myself of what say it is because if I didn't, I would have jumped him with how good he looks. We don't say anything to each other and just stare. He finally pushes himself off the door and comes up behind me while burying his face into the crook of my neck and inhaling deeply. I can only remember how hard this is on someone. He holds me tightly and just breathes in my scent.

"You okay?" I ask while rubbing his arms that are wrapped around my waist.

"Yeah, I just want to get this over with and get back to planning how to get to Trevor," he replies still buried in my neck. It tickles when he speaks and I have to consciously make the decision not to giggle.

"This will be over soon. It will be hard but I promise, I will be with you every step of the way," I tell him.

"When it is over, we're coming back here and cuddling in my bed together. I know you didn't sleep last night."

"How did you know that? Where were you?" I ask with furrowed brows while turning in his arms to face him.

"I was in my office most of the night working. When the motion detector went off for the library, I looked at the camera and saw that you were in there looking for a book." I was about to ask him if it was he who left the tea in the library but he interrupted me and said it was time to go.

As we were getting in the car, I caught Kay's bloodshot eyes from across the driveway as she got into a car with their father. She gave me a small smile and wave and then got into the car in front of Loki. It made me feel a little better and I'm glad that, so far, the dream wasn't a reality.

>>>>><<<<<

The funeral is almost over and I couldn't be more glad. Everything has been going as well as could be expected. Liam hasn't said anything. He hasn't even gotten up to speak which I found kind of weird. Kay, Luke and a few others have gotten up to speak but Liam just sat still next to me. I thought about getting up and saying something but I figured that wouldn't be appreciated since I was the reason she was gone.

At the end of the funeral, the family got up to stand at the front and receive blessings from the attendees. I stayed to myself in the corner even though Liam wanted me to stand with him. I promised I would stay where he could see me.

As I'm standing in the corner of the room and looking at the attendees, I see someone who makes my blood run cold. It was the same man that approached me at the mall. He saw me looking at him and gave me a menacing smirk and then left out the back door. I made the decision to follow him and see why he decided to come to my boyfriend's mother's funeral when he knows that they are after him and Trevor.

When I got out to the street, I saw him getting into a truck with Trevor driving and they both gave me a mocking wave and then left. I was staring after the truck when I felt Liam come up behind me and hug me.

"Where are you going?" he asked me.

"I thought I saw someone."

"Who?"

"No one important." I know I should tell him but I can't bring myself to tell him who was here when he has just gone through his mother's funeral. I can't make him more upset than he already is.

"Come on, let's go home, baby. We have some cuddling to do."

>>>>><<<<<

A/N: I'm hoping to have another chapter up next week. Hopefully my hand is healed by then. I'm going to try and add some smut if I can make myself do it. Any tips for smut, message me! I need all the help I can get!