Chapter Nine

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to jesciehall who has amazing books on her profile! Go check them out!

Question of the day: Have a favorite book or author? Comment their name/book to show some love!

>>>>><<<<<

Carter's POV

    I decided to go to my spot in the library even though I can still picture what happened yesterday, but I would rather be here than a bathroom stall where I can hear girls say other mean things about me. I am laying on the bean bag with tears running down my cheeks and my back facing the opening of this little area under the stairs. I'm just thinking about how I wish my mama was still alive when I hear a light knock. I don't move at first but then I smell a delicious masculine smell that makes my mouth water. Liam.

"Carter?" I still don't move because all he is going to do is make fun of me for crying. "Carter, can you please turn and look at me so I can see that you're alright?"

I hesitantly sit up and turn towards him but keep my head down while fiddling with the sleeves of my long sleeve shirt. He brings his hand to one side of my neck and uses his thumb to push my head up by my chin. When I look up, I am expecting him to laugh at me and make fun of me for crying but all I see is concern.

"Oh, baby, come here," he says as he engulfs me into a hug. I freeze for a moment because this is such a foreign thing that I haven't felt in years. Hesitantly, I raise my arms and wrap them around him. I can't tell if the warmth I am feeling is from being in his arms or from him calling me "baby". Either way, I am more comfortable with him than I have been in a while. We stayed like this for what felt like an hour, but it was actually a few minutes. He pulls back from me and slightly smiles which I attempt to return. I'm not used to smiling anymore.

"Are you just going to stay in here the rest of the day?" he asks and the only answer I give him is a shrug of one shoulder. He sighs and stands up so he can hold out his hand. I look up at him in confusion. "Come on, I wanna take you somewhere."

I'm not sure if I can fully trust him but I am more comfortable with him than my father so what could possibly go wrong?

>>>>><<<<<

Turns out, he decided to take us to Mcdonald's to grab a bite to eat. I tried to refuse him buying my food for me, but he insisted. I ordered a Mcdouble and medium fries while he got a 20-piece nugget meal. He was done long before me and then decided to just stare at me. I tried not letting it bug me but I finally had enough and looked up at him in question.

"How about we go get some ice cream? I know a small shop about 10 minutes from here if you're up for it?" he nervously asked. What does he have to be nervous about? I know he is only doing this because he pities me but there hasn't been anyone that wanted to be kind to me since my mama died. I gave him a slight smile and a nod as we got up and threw our trash away.

He opened the passenger side door of his beautiful blue jeep as he had done at school and then ran around to the driver's side. He glanced at me with a smile before taking off down the road.

As he said, the shop was only a 10-minute drive from Mcdonald's. It was a cute little retro shop that had light turquoise walls with bright white trim and booths that look like 50s era cars. I loved this place already. There was a sweet smell in the air that I couldn't place but it made me crave the ice cream in the cases. There were so many flavors and colors that I couldn't decide. I finally settled on milk chocolate and sweet cream swirl with a little marshmallow cream on top. Liam settled for Mint-chip cookie dough.

We got into one of the booths at the back that was secluded and private. I'm sure this is because Liam is embarrassed to be with me. I just keep my eyes on my ice cream as I take small bites. Liam must sense my anxiety because he speaks up like he can read my thoughts.

"I figured back here, we can talk and don't have to worry about anyone interrupting us or overhearing anything you may want to tell me. I'm not going to force you to talk to me or anything. I just want you to know I'm here as a friend that will listen to whatever you may want to share. I won't make fun of you or bully you. I just wanna learn more about you." He awkwardly scratched his neck and swallowed his bite of ice cream.

I keep my head down when I whisper, "I'm not sure I can trust you, yet." He doesn't reply and I look up to find a look of...understanding? No, can't be. 

"What if we play 20 questions? I'll ask you a question, then, after you answer, you ask me a question. Sounds good?" I nod my head in reply. "Okay, umm, what is your favorite color?"

"Burgundy, yours?"

"Royal blue. My jeep and motorcycle are that color." my eyes light up in excitement, I've always wanted to ride one but have been too scared of even getting close to one. He must have seen my excitement. "You like motorcycles?"

"I've always wanted to ride one, but I am so scared to even touch one let alone ride one."

"Okay, your turn."

"Umm, any other siblings?" My voice is quiet but not a whisper.

"Nope. It's just me and Kay and even then, she is technically my cousin," I look at him in confusion because I really am confused. "When we were three, my aunt and uncle were killed in a car accident and my parents refused to let her enter the foster system and took her in as their own. Even though she isn't my sister by blood, we have always been raised that way. She knows who her parents are but she chooses to call my parents, Mom and Dad."

I just had to smile at that. He seems to love his family very much. His father, from the few minutes I talked to him, was a very warm and friendly guy. I wish I had that happiness but mine died over four years ago. We went back and forth asking questions and then he fell silent while tearing the label off his bottle of water he got. I wasn't about to like the next thing that comes out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry Ginny was such a bitch to you today. I have no idea what that was about, but I do know that she crossed a line. I let her know that after you walked off."

"That's okay, I'm used to it. You didn't have to say anything to her. Next time, don't go through the trouble," I said as I shrugged.

"You shouldn't have to get used to it. What she said was ridiculous and she hurt you. You don't need to be hurt by someone just because you're used to it. She shouldn't be a bitch just to get attention." I was growing frustrated because I know he isn't being honest. I saw him with her yesterday and they are close. I can also remember that she said I made him uncomfortable. So, what is this game he is playing with me? I'm done for today.

"You know what? I should go, I have some things to do," I said quietly as I quickly got out of the booth, but a large hand stopped me.

"Wait, let me take you home," He says while trying to get out of the booth but I yank my arm out of his hold. He looks taken back but I don't give him a second glance as I quickly hurry out the door. As I'm walking, I hear footsteps hurry behind me and I know that it is Liam. "CARTER! CARTER, WHAT'S WRONG?" I have had enough so I whip around quickly and bring him to a stop with my hand on his chest.

"What's wrong? I don't know, maybe it's the fact that you are trying to be nice to the girl that your fuck buddy has bullied for four years." His eyes widen in shock. "Yeah, I saw you pinning her against the wall before you fucked her in my spot in the library. The spot she knew I would be going to so that's where she took you. It's the fact that you are acting so oblivious to the fact that I have no friends because everyone hates me because of her! Do me a favor and stop trying to be my friend. It will just hurt me more."

With that, I left him in the dust and walked the 30 minutes home.

>>>>><<<<<

That's all I can post today since my son has woken from his nap! Hope you are enjoying so far!