Chapter Thirty-Seven

Carter's POV:

I was waiting patiently in my hospital room for Kay to show up. I was beyond nervous. I'm sure she was upset with me and we had a lot of things to talk about. I leaned back on the pillow to rest some because my energy levels weren't back to normal as of yet. The doctor said it's taking a longer time than usual but it wasn't the most uncommon thing in the world. Only me, right?

Just as I was starting to doze off, the door slowly creaked open. I opened my eyes just a crack to see Kay and Loki standing in the doorway. I pretended to be asleep so that I could play a prank on them, when I heard them start talking.

"Go on, baby. Go see her," Loki said.

"But she is resting. I don't want to disturb her." I waited a few more seconds before abruptly sitting up and scaring the shit out of her. I couldn't stop laughing and even Loki had a small smile on his face.

"You little bitch! You scared the shit out of me. If you weren't my best friend, I would kill you!" she said. I was still laughing but when she said "best friend" I stopped.

"Are you still my best friend?" I asked, "I know I've been a shitty friend recently so I wasn't sure."

"Ummmm, duh! Of course you're still my best friend! You always will be. No matter what happens, I will always be there," she said.

Just as I was about to reply, the door opened again and all I could see was flowers. The most beautiful flowers I had ever seen were covering my new guest from the waist up.

"Hey, Carter!" I heard the voice of Molly, "I was on my way here when Tracy said these were delivered for you. She had to go check on a patient so she asked me to bring these down to you. I think I threw my back out because these are heavy," she said while she sat the flowers on the little table in the corner of my room. She turned and saw Kay and Loki and went pale.

"Hey, Molly! I'm not sure if you guys have met yet but this is Kay and her boyfriend Loki. Kay, Loki, this is Molly!"

All of them sent a collective 'hey' to each other and the room fell eerily silent. Until Kay spoke up.

"Oh my gosh! I forgot your get well gift in the car! We are going to go get it!" she sent a warm smile at me and Molly and then she and Loki were out the door. Molly still looked tense so I decided I should probably check on her.

"Molly? Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I just didn't know you were still hanging out with Liam's crew."

"Liam's family? Kay is my best friend. Of course I would hang out with her. Is that a problem for you?" I angrily spat in her direction. I was not going to tolerate her being rude to the first friends I've ever had when she was best friends with my tormenter. I never gave her grief so I wasn't taking it from her about Kay. Her eyes widened and she immediately came over to the side of the bed.

"No! You took it the wrong way. I think Kay is very sweet and a genuine person from what you say but you know what the rumors say," I stared blankly at her, not knowing what she was talking about.

"What rumors? I haven't heard anything about them," I said in confusion.

"Well, everyone says that they are all in the mafia. They are dangerous people, Carter. No matter how sweet they seem, it's all a façade and they are really cold blooded murderers. I just worry about you being around them. Apparently, Liam is the next in line to take over."

My mind raced. There was just no way that was true. They were all very sweet to me and never made me feel unsafe. Actually, I had never felt safer than I was with them. Kay was such a sensitive person so there was no way that she could kill someone and then act completely normal. My brain refused to make any connections. Aren't mafia people supposed to be cold and closed off? Aren't they supposed to not trust anyone, me, outside of their family? This was all too much for me. I felt like I was about to have a panic attack.

Just as I felt the attack coming on, the door opened and there was Kay and Loki.

>>>>><<<<<

Liam's POV:

I pace anxiously around my room. Kay went to see Car earlier and she was supposed to call me and let me know how she is. That was hours ago and still, there was nothing from her. I also sent a huge bouquet of flowers for her to let her know I was thinking about her and for her to get better. I had Loki hack hospital records to see when they are releasing her and it should be within the next day or so.

I hope she forgives me and comes back to me. I know I have a lot to make up for and I will spend the rest of my life trying to show her how much she means to me if she will let me. If she decides she wants nothing to do with me then I will respect her decision. I've been in love with her since we were kids. I may not have a good track record when it comes to girls but I never thought I would see her again.

I'm staring at my blank phone screen when I heard the door open and close. I sprint down the stairs, almost falling a couple of times in the process. I got to the bottom of the stairs and saw my dad talking to one of the head security guards. He had a hard look on his face. I instantly was by his side to hear what was going on.

"Okay, keep me posted. I want that fucker found and in my basement ASAP," my father bellowed. The guard gave one stiff nod and walked back out the front door.

"What was that about, Dad?"

"Trever Keller was spotted going back into his house this afternoon. Non evidence to where he had been but when our guys searched the house, he had already fled out the back door. We aren't exactly sure what he was after because it looked like nothing was touched. He could have been there looking for Carter. We need to be on high alert and send someone to be with Carter the whole time she is in the hospital."

My blood immediately turned cold and I tensed up. Could he have been looking for Carter? If so, what did he want with her. His issue is with me but he's punishing Carter? Nothing is making sense. I need to tell Christian. I know he just found out he is her biological father but I know he will do anything to help protect her.

I was started to texted Christian when my phone rang with Kay's name on the screen. Finally. I answered, "Hello?"

"Liam... she knows," she cried into the phone. I immediately tensed further. I wasn't expecting her to find out this soon. I guess I need to fix this first.