Chapter Six

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to mischiefmaidenx !I just read, "A Thousand Miles from Nowhere" and LOVED IT!!! Check it out when you get a chance!

>>>>><<<<<

Carter's POV

    I stayed in the bathroom until the end of the day, but I left 30 minutes early so that I could stop by the store and get something to make for dinner tonight since I know we don't have any food at the house that is suitable for guests. I picked up steaks, potatoes, and bacon to put in brussels sprouts that I knew we have at home. After paying for everything, I make the 30-minute walk home.

    So here I am, slaving away at the stove making sure everything is perfect. I take out four plates, cutlery, and wine glasses to set on the table. As I am setting the last place at the table, someone grabs my arm and spins me around. I came face to face with my father.

"What do you think you're doing?" he seethes in my face.

"I, I, I'm s-s-sorry, sir but I'm s-setting the table for your dinner guests," I stuttered out. He narrowed his eyes at me and then pushed me to the ground. I hit my head on one of the dining chairs, but I didn't dare move not knowing what he was gonna do. He then picked up one of the plates and threw it against the wall where it shattered into hundreds of pieces. Then, he bends down towards me on the floor still.

"Why are there four places when only two people are coming? Did you think you would join us? NO!! I don't want you in their sights after you serve the food," He stands back up straight and goes to the living room, "and clean that shit up!" he yells after he has disappeared into the other room.

I quickly get up and go get the broom and dustpan to clean up the broken plate. I guess I will be eating in my room tonight after I serve our guests. I quickly throw the pieces away and clear the fourth place setting off the table. As I'm setting a water pitcher and a bottle of wine on the table, the doorbell rings, and I hear my father get up to answer the door. Next, I hear jovial men's voices heading into the dining room.

I set a plate of food for myself aside then grab the platter of steaks and take them to the dining room. I don't even look up as I head back to the kitchen and grab the potatoes, brussels sprouts, and a salad I had time to make and take them all to the dining room. I still hadn't looked up so when I finally did, I was surprised to see Liam sitting there with a man that was an older version of him. I quickly look away so my father doesn't see me.

"Luke!" My father says, making me flinch from how loud he is being, "This is my daughter, Carter. Carter, this is my best friend and college roommate, Luke, and his son, Liam." Both Liam and his father stand and Luke comes forward to take my hand.

"Carter, very nice to see you! You are such a beautiful girl! This is my son, Liam," he says as he gently shakes my hand. It sounded creepy, him calling me beautiful, but I can tell he was coming from a kind place and his personality was warm and inviting.

"Very nice to meet you both, if you will excuse me, I have some homework to finish for school," I smiled gently at them, then I turned to go get my dinner. As I'm heading upstairs, I can feel eyes on my back and can hear Trevor telling them that I stay on top of my work because I'm the smartest girl in my grade. I roll my eyes because I don't know how he would possibly even know that. He has not even asked me about school since before my mother died. Even then, he did it because my mom told him to. I don't care anymore. I just make my way to my room to eat my dinner in peace.

Liam's POV

    This is Carter's house? I'm still trying to process the information when she turns around and goes back to what I assume is the kitchen. What struck me as odd was that she wasn't joining us. Homework? She wasn't in most of her classes today, so I know she didn't get any homework. I had Kay hack the system when we got home to see she had almost the exact same schedule as us. Her last class was different, which was Art. Where was she the rest of the day?

    "So, let's get down to business. What is it that you need, Trevor?" my dad asked the man sitting to my right. I don't get a good vibe from him and I'm pretty sure he is an alcoholic because he was the first one to grab the wine and pour a full glass for himself and he had a beer in his hand when we arrived. My dad said he met him in college and did some work for our mafia for a while but stopped when he met his wife and had a family. He doesn't seem like a family man.   

    "I need a job. Whatever it is, I will take it. I heard you were opening up your own firm here and I could help," Trevor says.

    "Well, Trevor, we have a full roster when it comes to the firm, but I will keep my eye out so that if something opens up, I will let you know," my dad says. That's strange. I know my dad still has some openings because he told my mom that last night. Something isn't right with these two. I don't think about it anymore because I am worried about Carter.

    "I'm sorry to interrupt but could I use your restroom, Mr. Keller?" he nodded his head and told me to use the one upstairs because the other one downstairs wasn't working. After he told me directions, I headed upstairs. I was really only going up to check on Carter.

    When I get to the top of the stairs, I can hear a quiet voice singing in a room that the door was not closed all the way. I go up to the door and lightly push it to peek in and see Carter. She had headphones on and was laying on her belly while she was drawing in a sketchbook. Ah, Art class. She is wearing a tank top and a small pair of pink and white checkered short shorts. I froze hearing her voice again. It's absolutely beautiful. I lightly knock on the door and I swear her neck almost snapped with how quick she turned her head.

    "Liam?" talk about deja vu.