38 | A Word

Recommended song: Since Way Back By Drake

I groaned slightly, allowing my eyes to flutter open and adjust to the sunshine creeping into my hotel room.

I reached over to my phone, silencing the alarm as I checked the time on my phone.

I didn't have hair and makeup until three, and it was only eleven, so at least I'm good on time.

The only thing I'm not good on is my memory.

What the fuck happened last night?

All I remember is taking so many shots—I mean, even thinking about it is making me nauseous.

I also remember...

My eyes darted over to the body moving under the covers—whoever it was, clearly was stirring from her sleep.

I prayed to the gods above that I didn't sleep with Noa, but when I caught a glimpse of Syd's face, I suddenly wished it was Noa.

Because this would be the third time sleeping with Syd—and God knows I don't need another stalker on my hands.

Then again, Syd seems chill—even if she does call and text me more than she should.

But I definitely need to set some boundaries—and right now.

As the brunette's eyes fluttered open, she hummed, "Morning to you too," she said, cracking an amused smile at me.

I forced a tight smile, "Good morning," I said, sliding out of bed as I pulled on my silk robe.

"No breakfast in bed?" Syd joked as I walked into the bathroom.

I don't do morning sex.

I shook my head to myself, hoping to think of a quick excuse—but when a knock erupted on my hotel door, I realized the universe might just be working in my favor this morning.

Leaving Syd's question unanswered, I walked over toward the door, praying that whoever was on the other side would provide me with an excuse out of all this.

And when my eyes landed on a smiley Vincent—I said an internal thank you, knowing this will help relieve the awkwardness.

"Good morning, Lundy," Vincent said, and almost instantly his brows furrowed when I reciprocated his smile back.

I've never been more grateful for him in my entire life.

"Good morning—I assume we have plans?" I questioned, hoping he'd actually keep his promise of sibling time.

I never thought I'd hope for such a thing.

Vincent nodded, "We're having brunch at the rooftop restaurant here," he informed me, easily making my smile grow and confusing Vincent further. "Be ready in forty minutes."

And with that, we exchanged a brief goodbye before I happily walked back to the bathroom where Syd was brushing her teeth with one of the spare toothbrushes.

"I have a brunch to get ready for," I informed her, feeling proud that I didn't lie for once.

Syd flashed me a lazy smile, "No worries, I have to handle some things in the office anyways," she said.