27 | Need?

Recommended song: Invite Me By Brent Faiyaz

"Lunden?" Noa's distant voice called out, but I couldn't bring myself to pull my eyes away from the man laying limp in his own pool of blood.

I can't believe I did that.

It just keeps replaying on a loop in my head, especially how the heavy gun burned into my hand as it went off—striking the man.

What makes this all worse, is that I know I'd do it all again if it meant protecting her.

I'd kill as many people as it took, and that...

Was a big pill to swallow.

"Oh for fucks sake will one of you get his body out of here?" Noa called out—and before I could blink the two men were putting the limp body in a black body bag.

I felt my stare easily divert to Noa when she gently grabbed my neck, guiding my attention away from the blood-stained floor.

Noa wiped the stray tears from my face, "I sent you out of the restaurant for a reason baby," she said, staring down at me with a clear look of concern.

I took in a sharp breath, feeling my throat close up at just the idea of talking about the tragic events all over again, "But I heard gunshots and... and I was worried about you."

My words felt so rushed and weak—everything felt like it was buzzing around me.

Noa sighed, pursing her lips into a frown, "I had it handled. You didn't have to—"

"Kill him?" I cut her short, feeling my chest grow heavier with remorse.

Noa's frown somehow grew more prominent, but before she could say anything else, one of her men called out, "Boss the car is ready and armed."

Noa nodded a few times, holding her hand to my lower back as she guided us both out of the shaken-up restaurant.

Coming here had to be the worst idea I ever had.

"Where is she?" His deep voice called out as Noa and I walked into the estate with men circled around us precisely.

Just hearing his voice made something break inside of me—something that had broken repeatedly ever since that gun went off.

As Noa motioned the men to part, my eyes locked with Vincent's—and to say he looked horrified would be an understatement.

"Lunden, I..." he trailed off, and I knew it was due to the warm tears that I felt coat my cheeks at just the sight of him.

It was like seeing your mom or dad after a bad sleepover.

Within a second Vincent was right in front of me—pulling me into a hug as my body trembled completely.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there," he said, clearly taking on all the blame as my older brother.

I wanted to say it was my fault.

But I couldn't quite get the words out.