Teacher's Pet (Betty)

Betty Cooper's POV

I was walking down the hallway of Riverdale Elementary, but now I wasn't a student. I was teaching. A couple of us stayed in town but others left which wasn't always a good thing..

Veronica- "hey Be, what's up?" I turned around and saw Veronica standing there in front of one of the classrooms

Betty-  "hey Ve, are you ready for the first day?" She laughed at the question which made me giggle back. Veronica- "I don't think I'll ever be ready, teachers college was hard enough" 

Betty- "hey at least we're not teaching in my old elementary school.. oh wait. Is Archie ready for the kindergarteners?" She smirked. Veronica- "he definitely thinks he is, that boy is in way over his head" Betty- "yeah but you still love him, don't you"

Veronica- "he's the father of my son, of course I do"

I looked down at the floor and smiled. Veronica had her high school sweetheart but all I had was a cat and my childhood home. I was lost in thought when Veronica pointed out the time. Betty- "oh shit, I guess this is it" I hugged her quickly before going back to my own classroom. Veronica- "meet me after school in the teachers lounge"

I nodded as I finished preparing everything for the day. I had grade one and twos which is honestly what I really wanted to have. The kids started coming in but right before I was about to start I noticed one little girl sitting in the back.

Her hair was completely knotted and her clothes were filthy. I took note of it and started my class. When the bell rang for recess everyone quickly ran out of class, except her so I walked over to her

Betty- "hey Lizzie, why aren't you outside with everyone else" she looked up from the picture she was drawing and stared at me. Betty- "don't you wanna play?" She shook her head as I crouched down to her level. Betty- "then do you wanna be my helper?"

She looked confused so I held my hand out and hesitated but took it

Betty- "I need some help organizing our bookshelf for the year, do you wanna try" she nodded as I took her over to the books. She was very smart so when I told her it would be alphabetical she knew exactly what went where

As she was doing it I noticed that she would look at me for permission before touching anything which made me worry even more. She was careful and gentle with every book she touched

Lizzie- "M-Ms. Cooper?" He voice stunned me but I looked at her and smiled. "Yeah Lizzie?" She stood up from where she was sitting cross legged and came over to me. Lizzie- "can I um
m-maybe do this next recess too?" Her face was pleading one so I of course said yes.

After the kids came back inside I gave them some free time but Lizzie didn't move, she just sat at the bookshelf. She reminded me of well myself.

At the end of the day I waved her off on the bus before making my way to the teacher's lounge like I had promised Ve. Once I got there Veronica was talking to Archie who looked exhausted. Betty- (laughs) "rough day?"

He looked at me as I sat down, but I was still thinking about Lizzie. They continued talking as I rested my head on my palm. I couldn't even hear Veronica calling my name

Veronica- "Betty!" I finally snapped out of it Betty- "what? Sorry I-I was just thinking" Veronica- "interesting day?" Betty- "interesting student, Lizzie Collins. Her hair was all knotted and she was very distinct with other students. She didn't even go outside"  I stood up and filled my empty coffee cup with with water before sitting back down. Betty- "I'm just really worried about her"

I sighed as Veronica rubbed my back. Veronica- "I'm sure she's okay, but what are you going to do?" I thought for a second before answering. Betty- "is there something I can do? I want to help her but I'm only her teacher" Veronica- "I know it's hard Be, you can a least bring it up with Martin" Betty- "yeah I know, I'm just worried about her home life is all"

I headed back to Elm street unable to get the girl out of my head, she's so sweet and caring. I've only known her for a day and yet I love her

I was sitting down to dinner when there was a really soft knock on the door. When I answered it I looked down and saw Lizzie standing there with a filthy stuffed animal and no shoes on. Betty- "Lizzie? What are you doing here sweetheart" she didn't answer me, she just cried a little bit more so I brought her inside

Betty- "where are you parents?" I brought her a cup of water and a wash cloth so she could at least get some of the dirt off her face. Lizzie- "G-Gone. They went away a week ago but I remembered I needed to be at school" I looked at the innocent girl for a moment before hugging her. Betty- "do you know where they went?" She shook her head. Lizzie- "they didn't tell me, but all their stuff is gone" Betty- "w-well maybe you could stay with me tonight, is that okay?" The girl nodded desperately as I took her hand. I knew I should contact the police but she had been through so much and they wouldn't stop asking her questions so I gave her one more night of freedom.

I found one of my old swimsuits tucked away in a drawer and let her put it one while running a bath. I washed her hair and body before we sat down and watched a movie, and there was a very specific movie I put on. 'Matilda.' She loved it so much but right after the first credit rolled at the end she was half asleep. I took her to my old sisters old room and laid her down carefully. I was about to leave the room when she spoke. Lizzie- "you're just like Miss Honey, Ms. Cooper" I smiled Betty- "and you're just like Matilda, Lizzie"

I turned off the light and went downstairs when it dawned on me, how did she find where I lived?"

I stayed up a little bit later because I wanted to make sure Lizzie was okay. I ended up passing out on the couch but woke up to my phone alarm around five thirty. I carefully got myself ready for the day before waking Lizzie. We got her dressed in more clothes that I had found then headed to the school. Veronica stared at us as we walked past her class so I just directed Lizzie to the bookshelf again as I went to talk to Ve.

Veronica- "please tell me that's not" I tilted my head and looked at her Betty- "it is, but I didn't do anything. She showed up at my door and there was nothing else I could do at the moment" Veronica looked passed me and into the classroom before crossing her arms Betty- "okay I could've gone to the police but she'd been through a lot and it was like so I I'd take her after school" Veronica shook her head with a smile on her face. Veronica- "you're screwed Be, you could get fired for this" Betty- "for helping a student? I think the court would understand and so would Martin"

The rest of the day went by quickly but then I had to take Lizzie to the sheriffs office. Lizzie- "where are we going Ms. Cooper?" She was skipping along while holding me hand, she seemed a lot happier today and even hung out with a few other kids. Betty- "um, we're gonna go talk to my friend sheriff Keller about you. Is that okay" she stopped dead in her tracks Lizzie- "will I get taken away from you?" Her words broke my heart and I decided right there and then, I wanted her to stay with me

Betty- "I'm gonna try to make sure that doesn't happen, okay? W-Would you want to s-stay with me?" She looked up at me with her cute little smile with her two front teeth missing. Lizzie- "I do!" I smiled as a tear came to my eye. I hugged her before picking her up and carrying her the rest of the way

They tried to find Lizzie's parents but had no luck, therefore Lizzie was aloud to stay with me and a couple years later I adopted her. It was just the two of us and that's all we needed.

Hey guys, this was my first ever oneshot so I know it's probably horrible but I thought I'd give it a try 😅 definitely more to come! ❤️‍🩹