Regency in Diagon Alley: A GENTLEMAN'S OFFER (PART II)

The second part to a long, overdue, sequel novella to Regency in Diagon Alley. Sorry about the long wait, this is the first Saturday since 2023 came that I had time to write the entire day. Enjoy!

~*~

It was rare for the Kierans to host a soiree before the Last Twenty-Eight Balls, so to receive an invitation was one that many blood-thirsty mamas are coveting. While the rest of the ton fought for an invitation to the most influential family’s fete, the Kierans themselves were not too enthusiastic with the idea of having the ton in their sanctuary for the sake of stopping the endless callers that have made a queue down the mountain and filling the halls of their home all in hopes to see Sofia. And the family’s surprise, it was Theodore’s idea to host the soiree.

Theo has seen his father prepare balls and saw how tasking it is to choose the right flowers, the right silks, the food and beverages, and the events that were to happen. While this was a small gathering for the young wizards to come together for Sofia to choose who it was, she wanted for a husband, his father was making a big deal out of it that the Duchess has tasked him to help his father, and make sure Theodore does not overdo anything.

“Mother is worried about you,” Theo mused as he trailed after Theodore into the cellar where the wine collection was.

“Tell her she is overreacting,” Theodore muttered as he chose the wine. 

Theo snickered, when he came across the Sword in the Stone, the young man circled around it but still wandered close so he may read the gold inscription on the anvil: Whose pulleth oute this swerd of this stone and anvyld is rightwys kynge borne of all Brytaygne. He has remembered the words to heart as Theo often ventured to the cellars to see the King’s Sword, he would stare at it for a long time imagining that he would pull the sword from the stone until the words have imbedded in his mind that when he slept, he still saw its shadow. He never tried pulling it out, never thought he was worthy, or the king born of all Britain, besides he was too young to pull the sword then, too small as well. 

“No, you were overreacting when you drove away every suitor that Sofia had after you came home from East Port.” Theo pointed out. 

“They were causing a scene – and mind you, some of those twats were touching things they were not supposed to touch.” Theodore read another bottle.

“Such as…”

“Your sister.”

Theo barked a laugh. “They were not! And I believe they are allowed to at least sit side by side.”

His father turned to him, tossing the bottle which Theo caught without fail. “And from what I remember, I put you in charge to look out for her when callers start to arrive.”

“I was.”

“You were enjoying the pastries they brought in – you and Aurelius and Romulus.”

They were. And who wouldn’t? With his father off to East Port early in the morning, and Carina in Thistle Hall for a meeting, Theo was left in charge of Kieran Keep and his siblings, his sister especially, as callers were expected to arrive. They were still having a nice breakfast when they came – Minty made their favorite meal, and she added some tarts – and barely finished when Iris (Sofia’s maid) claimed that there were callers waiting in the drawing room. Luckily for them, Sofia was dressed ready to received her guests, but her brothers and cousins… they were not prepared for the volume of the guests.

Still hungry and wearing no formal coats, Theo, Romulus, and Aurelius joined Sofia in the drawing room to be her chaperone – or as Jaime called them, her guards – so they sat in one of the chairs and helped themselves with the pastries that were supposed to be for Sofia and watched. Theodore did give Theo a list of rules for the callers and for Sofia to observe as interactions happen (one of which was a meter distance to one another, and if possible, the suitor is to sit across the room), but after seeing his sister’s look that says ‘do not do what Papa told you to do’, Theo decided to let her handle her suitors and he, Romulus, and Aurelius would simply be there to keep watch.