+ What if Regulus Black Survived? [Part 3]

"I'm worried about Theodore," Maisie whispered

Regulus woke from his half-sleep and turned to the girl that lay on the hammock, he slightly adjusted his leg that ached from having to sleep sitting on the chair to keep watch on the children in the Room, Maisie especially. Taking his cane, he hooked at the chair across from him and pulled it so his leg could rest there.

"He'll be fine, Maisie," Regulus whispered.

"The way he said goodbye the other day," Maisie watched as Regulus massaged his leg, wincing as he did. "It felt like it's a permanent goodbye... I don't want Carina coming back only to find out that he died."

Regulus sighed, he turned to the girl and lightly brushed her hair. "He'll be fine... Theodore is like his father - or better. And if there is one thing I know about the Nott family is that they're not the type of people who would throw their lives for the sake of the world. They always have a plan to come out alive in it."

Maisie smiled lightly. Her eyes then fell on the man's leg, she could only imagine the pain he was enduring every day. "I've always wanted to be a Healer."

"I know, you always told me - I mean, you always told Fred whenever Carina wasn't around."

"Mum was a Healer, but she had to drop out of her training because she had to take care of me and Carina."

"But your mother never regrets it, she loves you both and your brothers, so much... and every day that I follow her to the greenhouse, there's no ounce of regret of the life she chose. You are her world, Maisie - you, Carina, the twins, and Harry Potter... you should get some sleep, and don't worry about your shift later at the mirror, I'll do it for you."

Maisie nodded, but before she could closer her eyes, she tugged on Regulus' sleeve and, embarrassingly, asked. "Could you turn to a cat again? It helps with the nerves when I pet Fred's head."

Regulus chuckled, without a word he transformed to his Animagus form, leaving his cane on the floor, and settled in Maisie's embrace. He stayed in Maisie's arms until the girl slept, and he never moved, unless he needed to change his position. Though it would be weird to others - knowing who Frederick Georgina I was, he knew that Maisie needed him - Fred - and let other be damned because he would do anything for her. She was his closest friend.

~*~

Regulus and Maisie were playing card games with Ginny when Nevil and Roman came back from their trip to get relief goods from Aberforth. Regulus was finally winning after losing a couple of Knuts to the two girls, but their game stopped when the two boys made themselves known to everyone in the room.

"I've brought you a surprise!" Neville called out.

"Can your surprise be digested?" Seamus asked.

"Technically," Roman joked.

The two boys then moved to the side showing to the crowd four faces they didn't expect to see coming through the hole. Harry Potter, Carina Black, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger. Cheers were heard from the people from the Room, all rejoicing to see the four friends who were the answer to their prayers - Harry especially. Maisie got up from her seat - toppling the table that had their game - and immediately ran to meet Carina. As soon as Carina stepped down from the ladder, Maisie jumped and held her to a tight embrace.