Δ Carina Goes Skiing with Monsters and Roman Speaks in Couplets

Ever since Carina found out about her parentage, she made a vow to her parents and to herself to never hide anything – to never have secrets... unless she made a vow to the River Styx about it... or if it involved something she wasn't supposed to do in Camp and could get in trouble with the Camp Director or her parents. But, if she could, she would not keep a secret, especially from her friends.

After Percy's success in his quest with Annabeth and Grover, everything seems to be going well for everyone. The gods were no longer sending rain and storms to Camp – which Carina appreciated because she did not like eating wet pizzas. But, just as everyone thought that things would be back to normal now – which was very much unlikely – something else came up.

Just before Carina was to leave camp and head home, they were told a news about Luke. Percy told everyone about how Luke lured him to the forest and then held him hostage with a scorpion, and then told him everything. As it turns out, Luke was the lightning thief, he stole Zeus' bolt and Hades' helm. Everything was done by Luke to start a civil war with the gods. And right now, Luke has vanished.

All the while when Chiron told everyone to be wary about Luke, Carina felt her pocket be two times heavier than before. Her palms were sweaty, her heart was beating fast and loud that she could feel the pulse up to her brain. No one seemed to notice her odd behavior but for Theodore, who simply stayed silent and observed Carina.

On the day she was to leave camp, Theodore took it upon himself to walk her up the arch where they could see Carina's parents standing and waiting for her.

"You don't have to do this," Carina said. "Actually, you never walk me up the hill, you always say that it's a waste of time."

"Well, sometimes I like the walk, besides, I want to talk to you... I know that you and Luke were close."

Carina's hand balled to a fist, and Theodore noticed how she instinctively tucked her hand in her pants' pocket. Which was something that she would not do.

"And I know that – though you won't admit it – you were... well, like everyone else, you felt betrayed," Theodore continued.

Carina swallowed. "I'm not saying that I wasn't hurt but... when I look at it – knowing Luke – sometimes I think that maybe... his dad also drove him to do it?"

Theodore's brows furrowed. "Carina, what good do you think he'll get by starting a civil war with the gods? Do you think that would catch Hermes' attention?! You can't justify what he did –"

"And I'm not!"

"But you sound like you are."

Carina stopped on her tracks; they were half-way up the hill. "Is this why you wanted to walk with me? You think I'm with Luke, don't you?"

"Carina, I don't –"

"Well, I feel the complete opposite – why else would you waste your time with me?"

"Maybe because I like your company, or maybe because I want to be a good friend and look out for you."

"Look out for me," Carina scoffed.

Theodore's eyes glanced at Carina's pocket. "Luke is dangerous –"

"He's not!"

"HOW BLIND ARE YOU?! Luke is dangerous, and I'm here to give you a piece of wisdom," Theodore leaned closer to Carina and then whispered. "Throw it away – whatever he gave you. Just throw it away."

Carina felt her breath hitch. "I – I don't know what you're talking about --"

"Do you really think you could outsmart the son of Athena? Listen to me Carina, I know that you're angry with your mom –"