Chapter 92

A deep inhale of breath sounds, and for a moment I couldn't react. Frozen on the spot as I stare down at her, waiting for something, anything. Did I imagine it?

Please god, please tell me I didn't imagine it. I pray silently, to anyone, any god, anyone willing to listen.

"Katalayha?" I breathe lowly, holding my breath in fear of being mistaken.

The green eyes that had been staring at nothing since I walked into the room, finally begin to close.

"Kat?" I choke as my throat tightens, tears filling my eyes. I reach up to grab her face, my hands shaking, gently turning her head towards me.

"Stay with me, baby...stay with me." I sniffle, whispering the words against her cheek, knowing she hears, knowing she feels me.

"Har..Hardin." She speaks my name so quietly that I almost miss it, a single whisper that drains her energy.

"I'm here, I'm here baby...don't talk, save your energy." I murmur, burying my face against her shoulder as I wipe the fresh tears from my face.

"Hardin, we have to take her for surgery now." Luka says, placing his hand on my shoulder.

Sniffling, I nod my head.

"I'm going to be right here, you hear me? I'm right here with you." I promise her, letting the Elders lift her carefully off the floor.

"I want all borders surrounded, kill anyone that tries to cross the border, in or out." Luka commands viciously, all Alphas immediately head out to take their stations on my land.

I follow my mate to the surgical wing, feeling helpless and partially numb.

"You can't come inside, we need to sterilise the area and you're filthy." Luther tells me, keeping me outside the surgery room.

"I need-"

"This is what's best for Kali, I promise. The moment we think we're loosing her, we'll call you in." Luther says firmly.

I glance between the small gap of the door, seeing Luka cleaning my mates chest with some antiseptic liquid.

"Tell her I'm right outside, that I'm waiting." I state, my chest constricting as the reality of what's happening hits me.

"I will, we're going to do everything we can, I swear it." Luther promises, and despite my dislike for the Elders, in this moment I trust them completely.

Kali is like a daughter to them.

Nodding, I settle down into the single chair outside the door. I hear everything, every whisper, every murmur, every machine they hook her up to, every blood bag that feeds into her body. I hear them slice her flesh to remove the bullet, I hear every stitch as they fix up her insides.

All the while I wait to be called, for hours whilst they perform surgery, I sit motionlessly staring at the floor.

"How's Kali doing?"

I don't react to the sound of Jackson's voice, part of me knows I should, he deserves to know what's happening. But I couldn't. If I speak, I know I'll break down and right now Kali doesn't need that.

Instead of asking questions, Jackson takes a seat on the floor opposite me. I pay him no mind as I stare blankly, no thoughts, no emotion, just emptiness.

Void.

"Hardin."

Luther's voice instantly puts me on my feet. "What's wrong?" I rush to move into the surgery room, only to be stopped.