Chapter 5 - Part A

* I do not own any rights to the photo above! Just thought I'd give a glimpse of how beautiful the dress is!*

I could hear the loud chatter of hundreds of voices, the classical Christmas music that plays throughout the mansions. I could even smell the food, not needing wolf senses as the smell travels.

The guests are still flooding in, despite it starting an hour ago.

Ever since kissing Leone to get into his house, I've had this feeling. This loneliness, this longing for something, some flicker of home. For the first time in four years I felt...ready, to put on the goddamn dress and face my fears.

The world has forgiven you for worse things. I remind myself.

I'm not the same she-wolf I once was, in fact, I'm not been a she-wolf anymore, not really. I've grown up, got a life, got over things I never thought I could.

You've got this. I praise myself, snatching the outfit from the back of the closet.

*
*
*

A whole hour later, and I'm finally ready. The dress is blush pink in colour with one strap, and has two layers. The first layer is sparkly blush pink, starting at the top and ending below the knee, split just above mid thigh to reveal my legs. The second layer is supported silk in the same colour, draping out at my hips to the floor, split wider in the front to reveal some of the first layer and my legs.

The heels match too, but I don't bother with accessories because I don't want to spoil the look.

I'd blow dried and curled my hair into waves, long icy white locks that end at my waist. Despite what people may say if they find out, I make sure that under my dress I'm packing some sort of weapon.

I have a lot of enemies, and I'm not as strong as I used to be.

Inhaling deeply, I stare at myself in the mirror, at my reflection. No matter who I see tonight, I have to keep smiling, no matter how hard it is.

I finally exit my room.

Holding my head high, and planting my shoulders back. My posture demands respect, it demands attention, as all Alphas do. The world doesn't know I have no wolf, and neither does Hardin. I want to keep it that way.

My heart beats a little faster as I begin passing people, wolves that are mostly unfamiliar. Still, they freeze, they stare and they whisper as they begin to recognise me.

The Alpha Female, the childless mother, the one that abandoned her mate and pack. I could see the judgement on their faces, but it only made me more confident.

I've faced worse than this. I realise, knowing it to be true.

As I enter the main ball room, all heads begin turning, chatter lessen significantly as hundreds of eyes land on me. I held my breath, a little frozen as I walk in, confidence pouring off me.

The Elders gives me reassuring smiles from across the room, their faces lighting up the second they see me. I felt happy about that, knowing at least they're happy to see me.

Until I get a glimpse of stormy silver eyes, I felt hot, and nauseous knowing he's here, and I didn't dare glance back. So I kept face, and I acted like I hadn't even seen him. Since when does he come to Christmas balls?

"Is it my eyes, or did you get twice as gorgeous?" The sound of a familiar voice turns my false smile, into a real one.

Slowly turning around, I stare up at the large man with a small smile.

"Flattery will get you nowhere." I muse, simply happy that he's actually happy to see me. He's the first people to actually greet me without a glare, it almost makes me want to cry.