Chapter 11

"Do you want some privacy?" Luther offers, already standing and tapping Jackson's arm, signalling him to leave as well.

"Please." I sigh, giving them a grateful smile.

When the kitchen is finally empty, I dial the number that's been sat on the screen for the last twenty minutes. I've spent three days putting this phone call off, but at some point it has to be done, and delaying it won't help.

"Hello?" The deep husky voice that answers still manages to makes my palms sweat a little. Stay calm, you've got this.

"It's Kali." I respond, as blank as I possibly can.

"Ah, I've been expecting your call." I hear him sigh lightly, his tone a little softer.

"I told Maddox I'd talk to you." I state, trying my best to not let the sound of his voice get to me.

"Great, I'll be at headquarters by sundown." Hardin tells me, his tone firm, leaving no room for argument. Wait, what?

I felt my heart stop beating.

"What, why? We can discuss this over the phone-"

"This is business, best done face to face. You know how easily things get taken the wrong way over the phone." Is his logical answer.

I heard the sound of his car door shut. Oh fuck, he's really coming?

"I'm not doing business with you, Maddox is-" The phone call ends, and I hold my breath as I come to terms with what I've just done.

I should have known Hardin would make this into a goddamn meeting. I'm fully aware that Hardin owns a jet, most Alphas do considering their need to get around the world often. Right now it's really not convenient.

Talk about a horrible start to an already bad day.

Jackson is in lingering in the hallway as I exit the kitchen, turning to me with a raise eyebrow.

"How'd it go?" He asks, a little concerned as he stares at me.

"He's coming." I scowl, not exactly thrilled about facing him again. It was hard to see him last time, and walking away, the more contact I have with him the less I want him to leave.

"Coming here?" Jackson asks in surprise.

"He wouldn't take no for an answer." I state, heading into the Elders quarters with Jackson right behind me.

"What's the plan?"

"Keep him away from this place, I don't want him finding out about Apollo." I say, routing through my closet for something to wear.

You get dressed everyday Kal, why's it so hard now?

"The horse? Why does it matter?" Jackson is utterly lost.

"Hardin is intelligent, the second he knows I own Apollo he'll realise my wolf is dormant." I explain, glancing between two pairs of skinny jeans. Dark blue wash, or black?

I could sense Jackson's confusion, silence louder than words and all that.

"It's just easier if he doesn't know." I grumble.

Hardin is protective, and if he thinks I'm without my wolf he's going to feel like I need him. He won't take no for an answer, meaning he'll be around more often and check in, he'll try fixing it. I can't handle being around him that much.

"Wear the black ones." Jackson says softly.

My shoulders fall slightly with some relief. Just knowing Hardin is coming here has me high strung, tense and perhaps a little indecisive.