Chapter 79

By the time I wake up it's almost dark outside, and I realise that my hair is only slightly damp from my shower earlier. Not wanting to miss dinner, I get my ass into gear and get dressed. My outfit matches my mood, with black skinny jeans and a black baggy t-shirt.

I don't bother brushing my hair, shoving it up into a messy bun. Although I do brush my teeth, before exiting the room with Lucifer on my heel.

I take him straight outside to the woods, letting him do his business. Then leading him back inside in hopes of finding the kitchen.

"Hey, you're Alpha Kali, right?" A woman's voice echoes softly, and the emotion in her voice instantly makes my gut wrench.

No, no, not right now.

"No, sorry. I think she's in the dining room with Alpha Hardin." I say in a sweet voice, hurrying in my steps before she sees my face.

"Oh, okay, thank you." I hear her say softly.

Fuck, I feel awful. But I can't do it, I can't talk to a grieving mom about her lost pup. I can't.

After some time I finally find a kitchen, there's a man cooking. No one else is around, so I head over to the list sat on the table.

"Alpha Kali, I recognise you." The chef smiles warmly, pointing to his eyes and then to mine.

I have my mother's green eyes.

I smile. "Hardin and I are having a little issue, do you mind if I tweak his dinner?" I ask politely.

The chef freezes, stunned by my question. "Uh...I, I can get into a lot of trouble, Alpha Kali."

"He won't even notice, it's really just for my amusement." I say honestly.

"I don't know." He says, clearly not wanting to.

"It's fine, I get it." I sigh, glancing down at the list or orders. "He ordered for me?"

The chef nods. "Cheeseburger." He answers.

"I'd like salad, actually. Do you mind?" I ask with a small smile.

The chef smiles. "Of course not, everyone is waiting in the dining hall if you'd like to join them." He gestures to the double doors across the kitchen.

"Thank you." I smile, whistling for Lucifer to follow me as I cross the kitchen and head into the dining hall.

It's as big as I expected it to be.

"Alpha Kali, right this way." One of the wolves helping with dinner leads me to the table, seating me right next to Hardin.

Great.

"Will the dog be remaining with you?" The wolf asks me.

"Yes." I retort bluntly, taking my seat while Lucifer sits behind it.

There's awkward tension between Hardin and I, Dom and Seb are directly across from us, while Maddox sits between at the head of the table. I see them shifting slightly, like they're uncomfortable.