Chapter 22

"They're not answering." Hardin tells me out of earshot of Lisa and Kade.

My heart drops into my stomach, fearing the worst. The Elders can heal from many things, but it's not their lives I worry for, it's all the history inside their quarters. If humans get their hands on the books, the living proof of the supernatural...we're doomed.

"Start calling the packs, if this is going to happen then everyone needs to be prepared." I mutter, sliding my phone out.

"It could be a misunderstanding, we shouldn't cause worldwide panic until we know anything for certain." Hardin whispers quietly, trying to reason with me.

"I'd rather have them scared than dead." I retort.

"I'll go to Italy and see for myself, don't alert the packs until I cal." Hardin states quietly, heading for the door without second thought.

My phone begins vibrating, and I immediately rush to stop Hardin as I recognise the number.

"Wait!" I tell him, quickly answering the call.

Hardin turns to me, moving closer.

"Hello?" I voice to the silence. A low grunt echoes, and a sickening crack that I'm quite familiar with. My heart freezes in that moment.

"I want you on pack land by tonight, all packs are to be put on high alert. I want you protected around the clock, and I will hear no argument, am I clear?" Luthers voice is sharp with anger and finality.

I inhale at the sound of his voice, knowing they're all alive. Thank god.

"I can fix this-"

"There is no fixing this! We will deal with this, and you will lay low until I tell you otherwise!" Luther orders, his voice raising in temper.

"What if someone gets inside and exposes what we are? It's my job to get rid of people like this, Luther!" I snap in irritation, not liking his tone.

"Your job is to obey orders! I suggest doing so." Luther seethes.

My angers shoots through the goddamn roof. My job is to obey? Have the Elders lost their fucking minds?

"I am not your fucking pet, you do NOT order me!" I shout in temper, my cheeks flushing with rage, and I pace in anger.

"Who do you think you are? You think that because my wolf is dormant you get to talk down to me?" I rant down the phone, not giving him the chance to talk.

Hardin steps in to take the phone, before I make this situation worse. I don't let him, smacking his hand away as I shout at Luther.

"You've asked me to risk my life for four fucking years, and now suddenly I'm not capable of handling myself? What, it's ok to risk my life for your sake, but not someone I care about? You think I'm going to hide and put other people at risk, all because you chose to send me on missions that should never have been a one person operation!? You're a fucking hypocrite! And you know what-"

The phone is snatched from my white knuckle grasp, and I spin around with a nasty glare on my face.

"The Elders may like you, but their hospitality only stretches so far." Hardin warns me, ending the call without a word to Luther.