Chapter 89

With two days left of the ceremony, it's safe to say Hardin's patience is wearing thin. Usually it wouldn't bother him having to attend Alpha duties, but ever since I lied about the origin of my bruised face and bust lip, he's been agitated. I know he's confused as to why I won't tell him, and I feel bad, but telling him will only cause more trouble.

We can manage two more days, and once the Elders are gone I'll tell him.

"Susan Wilson, member of Alpha Landon." Elder Luther calls out, the crowd falling silent as another female steps out into the circle.

This one has brown curly hair and dark skin, she wears the same as everyone else, black training clothes. Most of the graduates are faced with similar challenges, to face off with an unexpected person. If they fear one person in particular, they'll face that person in the ring. If you have a fear that can alter your control, it is used to judge you. Like I was judged when I faced Kade on my graduation ceremony.

"Begin." Luther commands, giving a single nod.

Another female steps out of the crowd, a middle aged female. As they begin fighting I turn my attention to the next few teens lined up, one of which I find myself curious about.

"Do you see that girl, dark hair and tattoos?" I murmur, leaning into Hardin as I point towards her.

"Yeah, I see her." He frowns after a few seconds.

"She will make a fierce warrior, we need to claim her before she wins." I mutter to him.

"What makes you think she's good? Or that she'll even win?" Hardin responds, a hint of amusement in his tone.

"It wasn't me that made your Beta bleed." I answer back, smirking at him.

Hardin's grey eyes flash with brief surprise, turning to look at the girl again. I know he's inspecting her properly this time, noticing the agile muscle along her body, her calm exterior and relaxed posture.

"She may not want to switch packs, she belongs to Dom." Hardin admits quietly.

I shrug my shoulder. "If not then I respect that, but if she does, I want her." I declare.

It's rare to see such talent in a wolf so young, warriors are trained from children until they're adults and more often than not, they cannot face off with a powerful Beta. The fact that she could, means she has great potential.

"I'll put the offer out." Hardin says, and give a small nod, watching him disappear into the ocean of males cheering on the fight.

The girl in the ring is by no means a warrior, however she faces her opponent with strength and bravery. She doesn't back down, win or lose. The Elders will grant her points for that.

As much as I'd love to go inside the pack house and do something else, duty calls. Forcing me to stay grounded. Though I pay little mind to the events happening around me, I keep my eye on Dom and Beta Omar. So far they seem to lack the initiative to attack Hardin or anyone we care for, but I'm not naive enough to underestimate them.

Perhaps I'm merely being paranoid?

"You should move closer to the fire, you look cold." A voice echoes lowly behind me, immediately making my heart jump slightly in shock.

Creeping fucking Jesus.

"Is my health suddenly a concern to you, Landon?" I retort in a dull tone, not particularly interested in conversing with him.

"For the sake of alliances, I suppose it is." He responds, moving to stand on my left.

Landon is a very large man, like every Alpha here he possesses broad shoulders and muscle, though not quite as much as Hardin. Landon is younger, though to say he's only been Alpha for less than ten years, he has made quite the impression.