Chapter 83

We leave Maddox's land early morning, after bidding my brother and him a goodbye of course. The she-wolf is silent in the back, staring out of the window as we pass by the trees that she's spent her whole life running through.

The tears in her eyes make me look away. Because her pain is so fresh, still so raw that it hurts me. I know she's thinking about her pup, and her mate, and probably her childhood, all memories that she's leaving behind.

It's not until almost two hours later when I finally feel it's time to speak, knowing we're way past pack land.

"What's your name?" I ask, turning my head so I can look at her.

She's still pale, and her eyes are still bloodshot, but she looks a little more rested then when I last saw her.

"Tessa." She says softly.

"Do you have any questions? We're happy to ease any worries." I offer.

Tessa chews on her bottom lip, nervous. "I...I heard that strength is your packs whole thing, I..I guess I'm just wondering how I'd be able to fit into that?"

"I don't think you have to worry about not being strong enough, Tessa. Just breathe, that is all we want you do until you're ready. Alright?" I say softly, reaching back and giving her hand a small squeeze.

Her blue eyes fill with tears, but she nods quickly. "Thank you."

I feel Hardin hand on my thigh, giving me a gentle squeeze. I know it's hard for him to comfort someone this upset, so he appreciates me stepping up, even if I do feel absolutely awful for her.

Maybe she's finally getting over her mate, only to then watch her pup get torn apart by rogues. It's tragic, and cruel. She's so young too.

The rest of the drive is mostly silent, Tessa doesn't talk much. She just stares out of the window and strokes Lucifers head, every time she stops, Lucifer moves. This makes her smile a fraction, just a hint.

She's not like me, I found comfort in taking lives. Tessa finds comfort in the things that she should, something normal. And I'm glad, because I've been absolutely dreading the idea of her becoming me. She's a living representation of what I'd hoped to become after seeking help, but I never did. Clearly she's a much better person than me.

We finally reach the pack house, and Hardin and I get out as Winter and Jackson come flying out of the front door.

"Hey sexy." Jackson winks, wrapping his arms around me. I give him a warm hug, feeling Winters arms wrap around us both with a struggle.

"I'm in this too." She grumbles.

"You remember I'm human, right?" I muse, and they both instantly pull back.

"Can you go in and tell everyone to mind their business?" Hardin asks Winter, who's eyes flash to the car.

"Of course, we'll talk later." She smiles, disappearing inside to make sure no one pays any mind to this new wolf.

Jackson stays nearby, and I'm glad, he's as comforting as people come.

Tessa gets out of the car, Lucifer jumping down a second later.

"This is Jackson, Jackson this is Tessa." I introduce them to ease the tension.

She offers a forced smile, beyond nervous. "Hey."

Her short greeting and small interaction don't faze Jackson, he's the kind of person that always senses other people's pain.

Jackson grins broadly. "Hey, nice to have a few face around here." He tells her.