Part 43

Sanjana's POV

I went with my Papa to Trivandrum to take admission and to know more about the institution. It was near the Bus depot, so travel won't be a concern, after discussion and knowing more details, we took the admission for the next batch and returned home. It is the first time I left Piku & Dudu for this long, we reached back by evening. After cleaning myself when I went to Dudu he suddenly recognized me and came to me without any stunts. Piku my drama queen didn't even look at my face when I tried to talk to him he looked around everywhere other than at me. It took some time to calm him down and get his attention. Recently my full concentration is on building back my career and handling kids. My classes will be starting this coming Saturday but I didn't feel like informing Shaam.

I started attending class, in total we were 8 members in that batch. Some of them are already working and doing this course to upgrade themselves, in total we were 3 ladies and 5 gents. We 3 were jobless and completely depending this course to get placed. Aparana and Vidhya were the other 2 who were doing the course with me. They are also married and Vidhya is also having twins but they are 3+ years old. As classes progressed we became closer and I came to know that Vidhya chechi (addressing elder sister) is almost 10 years elder than me. She looks too young and smaller in size than us. Both Aparna & Vidhya chechi had a love marriage. One day we reached for classes early, and they are coming from Kollam, which is also about 2 hours' travel from our institution. 

Vidhya chechi is having some sort of issues with her in-laws and staying with her parents. Her husband is also not supporting her, so she is struggling a lot in her life. She had their kids after a lot of treatments and 3 IVF failures. Her in-laws tortured and taunted her during the entire time and her husband never reacted or supported her. Hearing her part of the story I felt sad for her and I started to think about what would have I done if I was in her situation. When it was our lunchtime, I felt like she was in a tense mood and I asked her the reason. She told that her husband came and pick the kids from her parent's home and took them to his, so evening she have to go there. She didn't have proper lunch and seemed off during the second half. I and Aparna tried to console her which was no use. The evening she told me that she will be coming with me as her in-law's home town is on the way to my home. So we 3 together went to the bus depot and waited for the bus, first Aparna got her bus and she left.

We were waiting for our bus to come when someone called my name gaining our attention. I was shocked to see Shaam there, he told me that my mom informed him that I will be there so he came to pick me up back home. I nodded and asked him how we are supposed to go. He said that he is having a car, and will be going by that. I introduced Vidhya chechi to him and told him that she is also on the same route and we have to drop her off on the way. He said Okay without even thinking. But Vidhya chechi was a little hesitant to come with us, due to my constant nagging she agreed to come with us. He took us to the place where his car is, which was another shocker for me. He brought his own car from Delhi, which implies he shifted here, but when and where is something I'm not aware of. 

I can't ask this question in front of her, which may give her a glimpse of our life. He asked about the course and training sessions to make the travel a little more active and also tried to involve chechi in our talk. On the way, he stopped at a coffee shop and offered us beverages and snacks. Chechi was feeling a little down throughout the journey, I assured her that the kids will be fine. She told us to drop her near the town where she can take an auto, but Shaam considering her security strictly told us that he will drop her at home. She didn't know his profession or anything about him. From what I told them she only knows he is a Central Govt employee. We stopped the car in front of her house and her husband came out. He seemed to be in angry mode before he asks anything, she introduced me as a friend who is doing the course with her &  Shaam is my husband. We offered her a drive as this house is on the way to our home. He smirked at her and asked whether he should believe her which made us awkward. 

I said bye to her and returned to the car where Shaam is and I heard him saying he is not a fool to believe her new story. I felt bad for her thinking about her situation. Shaam started the car and we headed back home. He asked me whether Vidhay chechi is having any family issues, and I replied that I clearly don't know. Then we didn't talk anything about that. I asked him when he reached Kerala and the status of his transfer and all. He told that he joined this Monday here and staying in the quarters as of now and will come home every Saturday evening like today. Then he asked about kids and other random things. On the way, I received a text message from Vidhya chechi asking me sorry for his behavior. I replied its okay and soon we reached home. I went to the kids after taking a shower, Piku will always show his clumsy nature once I return on Saturday. 

Today what made me surprised is Dudu gave the same cold ignoring looks to Shaam and it took some time for him to calm Dudu. But my drama queen Piku not even gave a knowing look to Shaam like they never met. I slept with Piku once I hit the bed and woke up late at night when Piku cried. I saw Shaam sleeping on another side of the bed and Dudu in the crib. After putting Piku back to sleep, I went to Dudu and woke him up, feed him, and put him back in the bed near to me. Sunday I had no plans, so after morning chores which includes bathing Dudu and Piku, I went out with them. Shaam took Piku with him and I had Dudu. They started rolling on from back to front and lying on their tummies for some time. Randomly listen to songs, Dudu goes with fast songs, and Piku likes a sort of melody song. After having breakfast I thought of calling Vidhay chechi to check on her and her kids. The call was attended by a male voice and I expected it to be her husband but what he said is a different part. Vidhya chechi is in the police station now, if I know her personally then come and get her this is what he said. I said Okay and asked for the station details.

I don't know what to do, so I went to Shaam and asked him whether he can help with this. He nodded Okay and we went to the station. When we reached there, her husband was also there giving us angry looks and saying something to a lady who is standing near him. I expected it to be his mother and from what Chechi told me, I know she is having some political hold. When we entered she said to the officer in charge, that Vidhya chechi was with Shaam last day and I was also there to support her. I got shocked by her arguments, I held Shaams hand tightly and held him back. He nodded at me assuring nothing to worry about, we went inside and that lady keep on bad-mouthing Shaam and Vidhya chechi. She didn't give us a break to say anything and I saw Vidhya chechi sitting in a corner and crying. 

When she gave a break to her tongue, Shaam asked whether she is done with her accusation. She was about to say more when Shaam took a card from his pocket and showed it to the officer in charge. Maybe his ID card, because once he saw that, he stood from his place and saluted Shaam and offered his chair to Shaam. It surprised others and ending others' curiosity Shaam started saying his part.

Shaam: I am Shaam Malhotra and she is my wife Sanjana. Yesterday I went to pick up my wife after her class and offered a drive back to Vidhya as her home was on the way to ours and dropped her at her home considering her security. And I really don't think I did any mistake. Being an Indian citizen and an IPS officer who holds a special position in this department what I did is my responsibility. If anyone standing here has any doubts about that you can ask me directly instead of accusing her. If Vidhya is having any complaints against them, file the charge against them. Release Vidhya fast if she is kept here for this issue.

After saying this he sat on the chair and verified the doc that prepared by the officer and sorted the issue without filing the complaint. Officer in charge talked with them and sorted the issue and settled them back home. After bidding bye, we also went back home. I thanked him for what he did and showed him the Thanks message from Vidhya chechi. Until now I didn't know he had such powers, what I thought is he will be able to order around only the office he is in charge of. That day went like this, we didn't say anything about this at home and Shaam returned back on Monday morning. I didn't have any caught-up Vidhya chechi after day, and my days were busy with Dudu and Piku.