Prologue | Mother

Evangeline

Some years ago

Some years ago...

"Honey come on! I need to go to work today and I need you to come with me!" Mom shouted from the stairs.
"Okay, coming." I say with a happy smile running down the stairs as fast as I can.

We drive to where I suppose is my mother's work. I enter the huge building and say good morning to all the workers as my smile still didn't fade.

"Okay sweetheart I need you to stay with Rosetta in the lounge okay? Don't get in my office. I am gonna need you to promise this to me." Mom says.
"Okay mother I promise not to get into your office." I smile feeling proud. "That's my little girl." Mother smiles rubbing her hand softly on my brown curly hair.

She leaves the lounge, going to her office and locking her door as I hear the click.
I look at Rosetta, the receptionist that stays here.
She's nice. I think. She is that kind of women that is always with a smile on her face. But some days that smile fades away like smoke from father's cigarette.

I wait, Seated on the blue couch.
I even slept for probably fifteen to twenty minutes.
I sigh,
Mother is taking so long. I wonder why...

"Evie I am leaving right now, please stay here okay? I'll come back with some biscuits for the both of us." Rosetta says still with her smile as she leaves the lounge.

I wait and wait and wait, and mother is still there. Why is she taking so long?
It's Not just mother that is taking so long, it is also Rosetta. I want my biscuits and my mother.

I decide to take a quick peek on my mother's office. I won't open the door. That isn't necessary because there is a little opening in the middle of the brown door.
But of course I'm not that tall.

I decide to take a small chair from Rosetta. Oops, sorry Rosetta. I stand up in the chair and peek a bit.

There is mother. She is fiddling with her fingers and she looks... Sad? Why does mother looks sad? What happened to her?

I wish I could hug her right now. Right this very moment and tell her that she didn't need to be upset. Before I can even process anything mother looks up and I see a boy. I can't actually see his face though. But I know that he's young.

"I told you to give me the money back. My father already gave you so much time. I need it. Right Now." The boy demands.

"Tell your boss that I don't have your money right now, I'm trying please just give me another chance." Mother begs and cries at the same time.

The boy points something pointy and dark at her.
"Please!" Mother screams. "Please! I have a family to take care of. I have two kids I can't let them motherless!" She cries.

"They mean everything to me! Please don't kill me give me another chance!"
Wh— What is happening?

Thump!
Thump!

I hear something loud from the inside and I stop hearing my mother's scream, Just silence. Nothing else just silence.
I don't wanna look.

I close my eyes shut and I step out of the chair as I put it in the right place.
Mother... Mother is dead.

•••

Present time...

I kept telling myself that it wasn't true. None of this was true. Mother didn't die.
I was wrong. She did die, And I did absolutely nothing to save her.

Some years passed, now I'm eighteen. I got over my mother's death but there was still a part of me carrying her with me. Carrying her death with me, and as much as I wanted to forget about it, I couldn't, so now it's just me, my brother and my father.

꒦꒷꒷꒦

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

꒦꒷꒷꒦

thank you for reading!