Chapter 60

Time went on for the people in Hawkins after the death of Daniel. There was talk about it all over town for the past couple of months, but with it now being December it had mostly settled. Now people were focused on the upcoming holidays. 

Even though it's been about two months since the demogorgon attack, I could never get over the guilt. Eddie, and the others tried to assure me it wasn't my fault. But deep down it felt like it was. I would occasionally find myself visiting Daniel's grave. Apologizing to the air. Accepting his apology, even though it was the guilt that made me feel the need to do it. 

"Julie." A voice called to me as I stood in the kitchen staring at the table, "Julie Munson!" The voice said louder drawing me to look back at Eddie. He grinned at me seeing that he had caught my attention. I couldn't help, but laugh a little at his grin. 

"So Julie Munson caught your attention?" He asked playfully. 

"I didn't hear you the first time." I lied. I had, but I was too focused on my thoughts. 

"Right." He teased, "Wayne just called. He, and your mom are on the way with the cake." 

I smiled hearing that they were both together. Since the day of Daniel's burial, I've noticed that Wayne, and my mother had gotten somewhat closer. The secret glances at each other, her coming around more with extra food, her calling to see if Wayne could come over to fix some loose pipes, or other things that needed to be fixed. Eddie, and I had a bet that they would end up together. I say they'll tell us by the new year, and he says they'll tell us in six months. 

"Oh good." I grinned. Today was Joanna's first birthday. Mom had made her a cake, and we were just having a small party at the house for her. Only close friends, and family were invited. Which were the Wheelers, Sinclairs, Byers, Robin, Steve, Max, Hopper, Jeff, Gareth, and Todd. "With the cake on the way, that means we have until twenty minutes until guests arrive. Decorations are up?" 

"Yes. Joanna is also waiting excitedly for her presents." Eddie said, and I smiled, "I've also may have let her open one of ours." 

"Eddie." I said giving him a look. 

"Hear me out, she was giving me a look I couldn't say no too." Eddie told me, and I laughed as he held up his pinky, "She has me wrapped around tiny pinky." 

"Of course she does." I said, and walked over to him. I wrapped my arms around him, and let out a sigh, "You are such a good dad to her." 

"I hope so." He said wrapping his arms around me, "I can't believe it's already been a year." 

"Me either." I told him, "Time has really flown. Soon she'll be talking." 

"I can not wait." He chuckled, and kissed the top of my head. We broke apart from the hug when a knock came to our front door. I walked into the living room, and answered the door. I smiled seeing Dustin, and Lucas. Both of them carried a wrapped present for Joanna.

"You two are early." I told them. 

"We know. Dustin, and I wanted to see if you needed help." Lucas told me as they walked in from the snowy outside. 

"Eddie has managed to get it all done, but if you want. You can play with the birthday girl." I told them. Lucas grinned as Eddie walked in to see the two boys. "You both can set your presents on the couch. I'll take them to the kitchen soon." 

Lucas walked over to Joanna, and picked her up. She squealed happily at him. I picked up the two gifts, and walked to the kitchen as Eddie, and Dustin spoke. Soon the whole house was packed with people talking happily to one another. 

"How you doing, kid?" Hopper asked walking over to me as I stood alone in the kitchen trying to be busy with something. 

"I've been good." I told him rearranging the plastic forks, spoons, and knives around for the third time, "How has work been?" 

"Been quiet." Hopper told me. 

"Has the bear been caught?" I asked glancing at him. 

"Nothing has been found." Hopper said, "It must have left the area." 

I knew what he meant by that. Vecna had once again packed up, and left. He was like a cockroach. Always there, and can never be squished. Surviving somehow. "It will turn up again." I said. 

"We'll be ready next time." Hopper said. 

"Julie!" Eddie shouted running into the kitchen with a big grin on his face. I looked at him with a smile on my face, "Can we please open presents?" 

"Just like a big kid." Hopper chuckled at him. 

"I can't tell who's more excited about presents, and cake the birthday girl, or Eddie." I laughed, "After we eat cake. That way she can tire herself out with her new presents." 

"Ugh, fine Mom." Eddie groaned, "Can we eat cake now?"