Chapter 7

"So I'll be late coming home tomorrow." I told mom as I helped do the dishes. 

"What for?" She asked me. 

"Movie night with Robin and Steve." I told her. 

"Okay." She said, and I rolled my eyes. Of course she's fine with Steve, "That boy, Steve. He seems like a nice guy. I know your brother loves him. Maybe..." 

"Mom, he's a friend." I told her, knowing where she was going with the conversation, "Nothing more." 

"I know, but he seems really nice. You would look cute together." She told me and I focused on cleaning the plate in my hand, "That's how it started out with your father and me. We used to just be friends and then one day, we went on a date." 

And now you two are divorced. Dad moved on with his life and does not care about us. I wouldn't say it to her face, because it would hurt her greatly. I didn't want that. 

"Steve has a girlfriend, anyway." I told her, hoping it would make her give up on that idea, "And they're super in love with each other." 

"Well there's more good guys out there." She told me. 

When I was done doing the dishes, I went to my room. The conversation with my mother made me upset. It's like anyone other than Eddie was okay for me to be around. All because they didn't dress in black clothing, listen to rock, or be deemed a freak by almost everyone in town. 

The next day at school I wore my Hellfire Club shirt. Some people laughed after seeing me wear it, but I ignored them. I was proud to be in the Hellfire Club. I went to the bathroom after math class and froze, seeing the mirror. 

Julie "The Slut" Henderson was written in red lipstick. Tears came to my eyes as I stood there. Who would write that, and why? Who has seen it already, too? Everyone would no doubt be talking about this. The door opened to the bathroom and I turned to see Robin. She was about to say something when she noticed the tears in my eyes and the writing in the mirror. 

"Shit." Robin muttered and walked over to the mirror. She grabbed some paper towels and began smearing the writing. I soon joined helping her. 

"I don't know why someone would write this." I told Robin as I made sure it was wiped away. "I've never been with anyone." Only once, but that was like three years ago, and no one knew. 

"Maybe it's someone trying to cause drama." Robin told me and placed her hand on mine to stop me from wiping anymore, "It's all off the mirror now."  She pulled me into a hug as I began to cry. The bell rung, but we didn't care. 

"Yesterday, Eddie and I got high in the parking lot." I told her as we sat on the floor of the bathroom, "Principle Higgins appeared with Tiffany who claimed we were doing something. We were just enjoying the buzz, but I told them I was helping him study." 

"Did they believe it?" Robin asked, sitting across from me. 

"I don't think Higgins cared. Tiffany defiantly didn't." I told her. 

"Do you think it was Tiffany who wrote on the mirror?" Robin asked me. 

"I wouldn't doubt it." I told her, "Just wish she would leave me alone. It's like all she ever does is make me miserable. Why does she have to be like that?" 

I shook my head. Robin shrugged her shoulder. She had no idea. The bell rung soon later signaling the period we had skipped was over. I stood up and held out my hand to help Robin up. We walked out of the bathroom and went our separate way. 

"You missed out on class." Eddie said, finding me by my locker. I nodded my head, remaining silent. He frowned, "Something wrong?" 

"No." I told him. I didn't want to mention the writing on the mirror. I just hoped it would go away. 

"Okay." He replied, "Well I'm off to class. Just wanted to check up on you." 

"Thanks, Eddie." I said, and he walked away. I went to my next class and I could feel eyes on me. Some of the students laughed a little as I walked by them. I felt like I was being smothered.