Chapter 23

As we got closer to the War Zone, everyone began to grow more concerned. There were a bunch of angry people there, and no doubt some stocking up to hunt down Eddie. Was I even safe to go in there? I had no clue if I was even wanted for Tiffany's death.

Steve pulled into the back of the store, and told Eddie to stay hidden. Erika, Max, Nancy, Steve, Robin and I went into the store with a list of things to get. The place was packed with people.

"So much for avoiding angry hicks." Robin commented.

"Let's be... fast." Nancy said.

"Yep." Robin commented.

"Definitely." Erika agreed.

I grabbed a basket and took off to the clothing section. I grabbed a solid army green boonie hat and put it on. I looked around at the vests and found one that should fit Eddie. I grabbed a bullet belt and two pairs of boots. I paused in my shopping and looked around at the people.

So far no one seems to have noticed me. I went back to looking at the clothing on the racks, and found some cargo pants, and a black shirt. "Perfect." I said putting them in the basket. It was already full. I should have grabbed a cart.

I left the clothing area, and went to where Steve was. He grabbed a coat and took off Eddie's vest. "I will take that." I told Steve, taking Eddie's vest from him.

"Jesus, you're like a ninja." Steve told me as I set my basket down. I laughed a little as I slipped the vest on.

"Good." I told him picking my basket up, "I'm going to go look around some."

"Okay, be careful." Steve told me and I nodded my head. I walked over to the gun case, and saw a crossbow.

"Can I help you, missy?" the guy behind the counter asked.

"Uh yes, how much for that crossbow?" I asked, pointing to it.

"The Jennings Devastator Crossbow? Mmm a hundred." The guy told me, "And I'll toss in 15 extra arrows."

"Deal." I told him and gave the man a hundred from my wallet. I will check out the clothing in a bit after I look around some more. The man handed me the crossbow and told me how to load it.

"Just make sure your fingers are away from the string when you fire." He told me and I thanked him. I strapped the bow to my back and kept looking around the store. However, I stopped seeing one of Jason's friends. Shit! They were here? 

I ducked behind a shelf of first aid kits. I grabbed one, and looked around at the store. I could see Jason with Nancy. That was not good. I took a breath and exhaled to calm myself. I stood up and walked over to the cashier. I began to check out, and noticed a lighter on a shelf near by. I grabbed it and put it on the counter. Fire was always good against the creatures.

"$50." The woman at the cashier told me. I gave her the money and grabbed my things. I walked towards the front door and looked at the board they had hanging  near it. It was a hand-made wanted poster for members of the Hellfire Club with a picture of everyone in Hellfire. Myself included. Shit. 

I walked out of the store and was about to walk to the RV when I saw one of Jason's friends walking my way. I turned around and he called out to me. I looked back and saw he was running over to me. Shit! I dropped my bags and took off running. 

I ran by the RV and saw Dustin in the front window. Jason's friend was hot on my heels. "Oh shit! Oh shit!" I cried out and then was tackled to the ground. My crossbow fell to the ground as I rolled over to Jason's friend on top of me. 

"Get off!" I screamed out and tried hitting him. He managed to block the hits, and smacked me in the face, "You hit like a kitten." I laughed and spat at him. He wiped the bloody spit from his cheek, and was about to hit me again when something hit him in the back of the head. He fell over and I pushed him off of me. 

I looked up and grinned seeing Eddie with my crossbow. "Son of a bitch." Eddie said angrily, "You okay?" Eddie helped me up. I wiped my bottom cheek and saw the blood. He busted my lip a bit. 

"I'm good." I told him and looked at the guy. I kicked him. "Let's go. It's not safe for you to be out here." 

I walked into the RV and grabbed a cloth from one of the cabinets. I placed it on my lip and put a little bit of pressure on it. "Jesus Julie." Dustin commented. 

"Wouldn't be the first time I got a busted lip saving the world." I joked, "The Russians hit harder than that guy." 

"You're insane." Eddie told me as he sat behind the driver's seat, and I laughed. 

"Aren't we all?" I asked him as Dustin checked his watch. 

"What the hell is taking so long?" Dustin asked us, and the RV door opened. 

"We've got to go. Have you seen Julie?" Steve asked, "Her stuff was dropped by the door."

"Right here." I told him, raising my hand, and he looked relieved. It would have been a close call if it wasn't for Eddie saving my ass.