Chapter 41

A knock came to my door as I got ready for work. I went over to answer it, after putting my hair up in a low ponytail. My mom stood there with a denim vest folded in her hands. I instantly recognized it was Eddie's from the patches. 

"May I come in?" Mom asked, and I nodded my head. She walked over to my bed, and sat down. She patted the spot next to her. I looked at her worriedly as I took a seat. "I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since last night. I'm not sure what happened the night you were attacked in the woods, or if you were really attacked in the woods..." She began. I opened my mouth to claim that I was. but she shook her head. 

"You have secrets. Secrets that you won't tell me." She continued. It wasn't that I didn't want to tell her. I couldn't. It would put her in danger... "Eddie was there when you got hurt, wasn't he? I noticed the scars on his sides. They were the same as yours." 

"Yes." I told her. There was no denying that part anymore after yesterday. "Dustin, and I didn't mention him, because people would have thought he did this..." 

"But he saved you?" Mom asked. 

"Yes. He saved me." I told her as I stared at the vest in her lap. Tears came to my eyes as I thought back to that night. The pain. The fear of losing Eddie. Of dying. "Even though he was hurt, he got us to safety." 

"Why didn't you tell me?" Mom asked. 

"Because he was wanted for murder, and you didn't like him." I told her, "What would you have done if I had told you?" 

Mom remained silent for a moment. "I'm sorry, Julie. I feel like I have failed you. So much to the point that you have to hide things from me." Mom said as tears came to her eyes, "I know I haven't been the best mother at times, but I just wanted to make sure you were safe."  

"You've been a great mom." I told her, and quickly wrapped my arms around her in a hug, "You've sacraficed so much for Dustin, and I. I know you were trying to protect us. Just sometimes you got to trust us."

"I just don't want to lose you or Dustin." Mom told me. 

"And you won't." I told her, and she squeezed me a bit. She let go of me, and I leaned back. Mom picked up the vest from her lap. 

"You were wearing this vest when you were dropped off at the hospital. I thought about throwing it out, but I stopped myself. I knew it belonged to Eddie. I've seen him wear it all the time when he was around you. Part of me suspected you had been with him. Part of me also thought he had been behind the attack." Mom told me, and I shook my head. How could she have thought that? "I know, I shouldn't have. I was wrong, because that boy loves you so much. I know he would never hurt you. I was just so scared in that moment, and my mind was not in a good place. I thought I was going to lose you. So I hid the vest. I figured now would be a good time to return it back to you." 

She held out the vest, and I took it from her. "Thank you." I told her, and looked down at the vest. There were some tears in it from the bites, but they were barely noticeable. I ran my hands over the buttons, and patches. All were in good shape. I smiled at it, glad that it was not damaged. 

"I love you, Julie. I hope one day you will be able to tell me anything that is bothering you. You don't have to hide things from me." Mom told me, and I looked up at her. 

"I love you too, Mom." I told her, and she stood up from my bed. 

"I should go, and let you finish getting ready for work." Mom told me, and I nodded my head. 

She left my room, and I looked back down at the vest. I folded it neatly, and went back to getting ready for work. When it was time, I heard a knock at the front door. Mom answered it as I left my room with Eddie's vest in my hand. 

"Oh hello, Eddie." Mom greeted him, and I smiled, "Julie should be ready for work soon." 

"Already am." I announced as I walked over to them. I looked at Eddie, "Ready?" 

"Yeah." He said as I walked past my Mom who stepped out of the way. I waved my Mom goodbye and walked with Eddie to his van. 

Once in his van, Eddie leaned over and gave me a kiss. "What's that?" Eddie questioned, noticing his vest in my hand. 

"Your vest." I told him, and held it out to him, "My Mom had it put up after, you know." 

"I thought it was lost for good." Eddie said, taking the vest from me. He smiled as he looked it over.