Loss

Multiple boot clad feet rushed along a steel platform. A head of blonde hair clasped in her fathers' hand, heart racing not only because of the weight of the situation but also the responsibility she was now burdened with. Without knowing tears started welling inthe young girls eyes.

"Come now ." Her father urged whilst scanning their surroundings. Kara bit her lip from yelling at him, pleading with him, that she didn't want to leave, she didn't want to go to a new planet. If anything she wanted to stay with her parents till the very end. Maybe she wished she was as oblivious as her younger cousin Kal. Blissfully unaware of what exactly he was losing.

Ten feet away, a silver shining pod came into view. Her mother squeezed her shoulder. When she glanced up at the woman she had admired, her heart broke a little more. She thought back to all the useless arguments , the whispered yelling when she refused to follow her mothers profession, instead fell in love with science and all it entailed. To think she was just days away from becoming the youngest member ever to be inducted into krypton's science guild.

'An unfulfilled dream.' She thought sadly.

"Remember what we told you kara. When you arrive , you'll have to take care of your cousin. I know this might seem like a big responsibility but we would not ask if there was any other choice." The same words , she heard countlessly was repeated once more.

Wordlessly she nodded, afraid if she opened her mouth her voice would crack. Her words cutting, and her tone bleak. This was the last moment she'd ever have with her mother. So instead of lashing out as she wanted to . She offered the woman a weak smile that truthfully looked more of a grimace than anything else.

Her father squeezed her other hand once more. She turned to her role model, wishing to be nothing more like him. He kneeled down cupping both her cheeks. Wiping away the tears spilling down her cheeks Silently.

A brief silence overtook them. "Kara. What your mother says is true. But remember this. This chance, the new lease of life is not only for you to raise and guide kal but also to become your own woman. To explore who you are. Don't get lost in responsibility and duty. I know you and I know you'll do everything you can to make sure kal grows up but don't forget that you have to live to." He took a breath "So live , find love and create as much as you want to. Just be the daughter I know and I love until the ends of the universe .."

More tears. She nodded unable to stop from throwing herself into her fathers arms, the moment was one she would treasure for years to come. Another hug with her mother and soon she entered the one person pod. In the background she could hear the explosions, the world she came to know was quite literally exploding before her eyes and there was absolutely nothing she could do about it. So instead she gave her parents the best smile she could muster as she drifted off the platform , her course setting for earth.

A scream tore free from her chest as she watched the planet she grew up on explode before her very eyes, a piece of the debris slamming into her pod, sending it into a spiral. The rhythmic beeping soon turned frantic and the last thing she remembered was her parents face before everything went black.

••••••

Stark home January 1990

Howard Anthony Walter stark born august fifteenth 1917. CEO of stark industries and co founder of SHIELD. He was an inventor , scientist , engineer, businessman and movie director. Yet each title meant little when it came to being a father. Something he had yet to show but he did , he loved his son dearly and worked him hard only to let him see the potential he had when he wasn't out partying or sleeping with a different woman. His wife of course made up where lacked, she was his better half in every aspect. A soft sigh left his lips.