Fury's dead

While Kara investigated the strange fires and for their culprit , her girlfriend was going though a crisis of her own.

Natasha was called to a private hospital where she found her boss on the table with multiple surgeons working on him , trying to keep him alive. As she watched the surgery through the window , a fist tightened around her heart when she watched the doctors stop their work and step back from the table.

"Come on ,don't do this to me Fury" she murmured hoping their man's heart would start miraculously start beating but she wasn't god and she sure as hell didn't have any genie granting her wishes, so her heart breaks a little when the lead surgeon calls the time of death.

"Tell me about the shooter." She says taking her eyes from Fury's now dead body.

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." As Steve finished Maria just joins them.

Nat sends a nod to the woman "Ballistics?"

"Three slugs , no rifling, completely untraceable." Maria says

Natasha frowned "Soviet-made"

Maria looks to the side "I need to take him." Natasha nods but isn't able to stop the tears rolling down her cheeks, she doesn't respond , Steve walks over to the distraught woman intent of comforting her but she walks away before shooting one last fleeting glance at her boss.

Steve sighs and follows the spy out , when he finds her in one of the rooms she wipes away all signs of tears.

"What was Fury doing in your apartment?"

Steve shakes his head coming up with a lie "I don't know—"" before he could continue Rumlow interrupts them

"Cap, they want you back at SHIELD."

Steve nods shortly "Yeah gimme a second."

Rumlow frowns "They need you now"

Steve purses his lip at the tone but doesn't question it, he nods and turns back to Natasha "okay."

Natasha scoffs "You're a terrible liar." She says and walks away, she doesn't completely leave as she watched Rumlow and Steve leave but Steve stops at an vending machine and tosses what she thinks is a USB drive into it. The very same drive she handed over to Fury. Once Roger's and Rumlow left and the corridor is clear.

She makes her way to the vending machine , hesitating only momentarily before taking out the drive.

••••••

Natasha lingered at the hospital, she was sure Steve would be coming back but for now she had nothing to do other than to stare at the USB drive.

She decided to stop thinking and make a call to her girlfriend, it was unusual, usually Kara would call her once a day ,depending whether she was on a mission or not , but the blonde would call or text to make sure she's fine, but she hasn't realized that she didn't get a call or text today. Though given todays events , her mind wasn't all there.

She found Kara's number easily and dialed it, it rang for a few moments before heading straight to voicemail, she didn't bother leaving a message instead she redials it , wondering what was happening.

••••••

Mean while in time square

Kara was face to face with the meta-human, her eyes scanned their surroundings, too many people, too many possible victims. When she hears the police sirens and patrol cars surrounding them it doesn't even phase the serial arsonist in the least, in fact he wears a smug look, his eyes lighting up in delight at the possible chaos he could cause. Not that she could see half his face since it's covered with some sort of homemade gas mask.