[chapter thirty eight] sinking, dying, drowning

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

From the second I stepped out of the meeting room, I set off on my own personal mission. More people, every day more people seemed to show up. More council members, more elders, more Morgans.

And the more that joined, the more I had to watch my back.

I didn't like Morgan. I didn't like the way she looked at me, the way she flaunted through the halls, the look that swam in her eyes whenever she glanced at me. There was something about her, something that made my blood boil, something I had yet to discover.

"Leave." I demanded as I quickly descended the stairs of the basement.

Hundreds of cells and yet there was only one person down there. One person with strawberry blonde hair that I felt drawn towards. I could feel her presence in the building, feel her even when I tried not to. It was as if something magnetic inside me was trying to push me towards her, as if some part of me knew I had yet to discover more.

She was the key to all of my questions.

"What?" A guard choked out with wide eyes.

"I said leave." I hissed through clenched teeth.

I needed them gone, I needed to speak to her alone.

Without another word, I quickly muttered a spell under my breath and slid into the banshees cell. With wide eyes, she stared back at me. There was so much she wanted to say to me, I could feel it. And yet we both sat staring back and forth at each other in complete and utter silence.

"Your friend's weaknesses." I slowly muttered. "Start with Scott, you're so called 'alpha'."

I knew she wouldn't answer, I was counting on her not to. With my eyes on her, I forced my ears to pay close attention to the space just outside the cell door. I needed them gone, I needed to get my answers. When the click of the door lightly echoed throughout the room, I wasted no more time and muttered a quick soundproofing spell for the room.

Nobody was going to stop me from getting the truth.

"Who are you?" I quickly demanded.

"W-what?" Lydia choked out in a whisper as tears slid down her cheeks.

"I feel something, I feel connected to you. There's this strange pull in my chest that keeps tempting me to come down here. It's beginning to piss me off. But, I'm biting my tongue, just this once. I'm not going to kill you, but I do need you to talk. So, who are you?"

"They will kill me if I tell you anything." Lydia quickly blurted out. "I've already been warned-"

"I'm in charge, you answer to me and me only. Now, tell me everything you know, everything you've been hiding, everything you're not supposed to tell me. Tell me what you know, what it is that Ester is so scared of me finding out. You have two minutes before the guards come back in so I suggest you be quick."

We didn't have time to waste. I needed to know, and I knew that she wanted me to know. I couldn't trust anyone, I couldn't sleep knowing that they were down the hallway, I was constantly looking over my shoulder, waiting for someone to stab me in the back. I didn't have time to breathe.

All I wanted was one good night of sleep.

I would never get that if I didn't know the truth.

"There was a ball on your seventeenth birthday." She whispered slowly. "You were kidnapped by The Society and all of your memories were wiped."