[chapter fifteen] deadly silence

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

The pale moonlight lit up the graveyard, shining down on every grave, creating a beautiful silhouette. Aires had spent hours hyping herself up, forcing herself to walk out of her door and to the place she never thought she'd be able to visit.

It wasn't that she didn't want to, it's the fact that she didn't know if she could ever handle it.

"Hey." She whispered as she sank beside the willow tree.

Tears threatened to form in her eyes, however she bit down on her lip and forced them away. She couldn't cry. She wouldn't allow herself.

But as she stared at Sage's gravestone, it became harder for her to conceal her emotions.

"I don't know what is happening. So much has gone wrong since you died."

For so long, the Hale had envisioned exactly what she would say when the moment came to visit Sage's grave, however, every plan, every word she had prepared herself to say slowly crept out of her head. There was so much to say, so much she wanted to say, but not enough time in the world to say what she had to say.

So instead, she went with the one thing she usually never followed, her heart.

"I miss you." She choked. "I really need you-"

A low russell from behind brought a small gasp from the girl's lips as she jumped onto her feet with her hands by her sides. Her glare turned murderous as she watched Lila slowly move forwards. She hadn't seen or spoken to her mother since the dinner, the one where Aires snapped Lilas neck and afterwards stormed out.

"Leave." The Hale demanded as she tilted her head in a warning.

"Don't worry, I fully intend to. I understand that this must be... a lot." A sad frown pulled onto Lila's lips as she anxiously fumbled around with her hands. "I understand you need space and I will give you that-"

"Why?" Aires hissed through clenched teeth. "Why would you do that?"

"Because it's the right thing to do." She whispered back with a defeated sigh. "But that doesn't mean I'm giving up. I want to know you. I want to know your favourite colour, your favourite movie, if you read, write, or paint. I want to know you. So if you need space then I will give you that. But I will never stop fighting to get to know you, I never have and never will."

Something inside the Hales chest squeezed. In all her life, she had never heard someone so passionate about wanting to know basic facts about herself. It was oddly terrifying.

"Red." She suddenly blurted out, surprising both herself and Lila. "My favourite colour is red."

A small, genuine smile stretched across Lilas lips as she replayed her daughter's words in her head. Just that one small bit about Aires meant more to her than the Hale would ever know.

"Mines yellow."

"Shocker." The Hale sarcastically shot back with a roll of her eyes.

Amusement shone in Lilas eyes as she tilted her head to the side with a small grin. "Was it that obvious?"

"You're like the sunshine. Always smiling, even when you shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure I could shoot one of my harshest insults at you and you would somehow find a good word in it and smile." Every word that she said was true, even though she didn't trust her, Lila radiated sunshine energy that intrigued the girl.

"It's because I cherish everything you say. The good, the bad. Whatever it may be, it could still bring a smile to my face."

A silence settled between the two as Aires debated in her head what to do. She knew she should've left, that being in Lila's presence, alone, was a terrible idea. However, she couldn't bring herself to walk away.