[chapter twenty seven] holding on for dear life

A/N: This chapter made me so emotional whilst writing it.

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

"What do you know about Ester?" Chris demanded as he slid onto the kitchen stool.

Around the room, the Mikaelsons and rest of the McCall pack sat scattered around, all eerily quiet as they processed the news Chris had delivered. Aires was getting worse, it was a fact. Her nightmares had taken a turn. She wasn't just screaming in her sleep again, she was also throwing things, smashing things. The last time it had happened, Allison had been there. Allison had helped, Allison had saved her.

But now Allison was gone.

"Ester has been playing a game with us, we are her children and she is after us." Elijah delivered in a cool tone as his eyes flickered to the Argents.

The truth was, nobody knew Esters real motives. Nobody knew why she was really in town. Ester had made them all believe he was there for her children, that because they were in Beacon Hills so was she. But it was all a facade. There was a chilling lie beneath her cold eyes, they just didn't know the secret she was hiding.

"Well I think she's affecting Aires. Ever since she told Aires about The Society everything has gotten worse."

"What do you mean?" Rebekah whispered with a frown.

As Chris stood up, everyone followed suit, trailing behind him to the Hale girls bathroom. The room had two entrances, one from Aires' room and one from the hallway. The hallway entrance had been locked, confirming Chris's suspicions. Aires had sleepwalked into her bathroom at some point between falling asleep and waking up from her nightmare. Glass sat scattered around the floor, whilst crimson red was smeared over the wall.

She's going to make me kill them all.

A message, written in Aires handwriting. A message and a warning all in one. The state of the bathroom was enough to send a rush of chills through everyone, they were all dealing with something they had little to no experience in. With the mystery of the Benefactor, the Assassins, Esters arrival and Aires, they all had things going on.

But the terror of what was going on with Aires Hale remained their number one priority.

Months ago, they had pushed the girl aside, deemed her as a problem rather than in need of help. Though they didn't know what they were doing, they pushed her away and in consequence into one of the darkest spirals of her life. She turned to darkness for comfort rather than her friends, turned to pills to make her feel better and a boy who helped fuel her addiction.

Four months clean and Aires still struggled. She was stronger, mentally and physically. But that didn't stop everyone from fearing the absolute worst. Aires had crawled her way out of the pits of hell, she made it out barely alive. If she were to spiral down that hole again... They were not sure she would make it out alive.

"When I went into Aires' room last night she had cuts all over her hands, she didn't know how she got them. And she kept screaming something." Chris whispered with a small frown.

"What was it?" Klaus demanded in a low rough voice.

"She kept screaming the name Tate."

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

It was getting worse again, and I didn't know how to stop it.

I didn't know what was real and what I was dreaming. I couldn't tell if I was even alive.