Chapter 108: Change of Pace

Arwyn's POV 

Today is Wednesday and we have our basketball practice. It was supposed to be yesterday, but my teammates pleaded to our coach. They claimed to be emotionally exhausted as a result of their classes. Not to mention the upcoming midterm examination, maybe they are preparing and reviewing. Bullshit, they are just looking for an excuse to be lazy. As the team captain, I am opposed to their idea; however, the coach granted their request.

I'll be considerate this time.

Because of a stomach ache, Peter skipped today's practice. Namimilipit siya sa sakit kanina, kaya sinabihan kong umuwi na lang. Ace is currently reviewing because he is one of the school's representatives for an international exam competition. I feel uneasy when they are not present. I'm also becoming paranoid because our match is approaching and we need to be in peak condition.

I'm working on my shooting accuracy and agility, and I'm just minding my own business. I heard some idle chatters. But, instead of becoming agitated, I manage to remain calm. I can't always be vicious. "Focus on practicing, everyone!" I yelled, trying not to sound as harsh as possible. I just can't seem to control my emotions at times. But, it's not my fault. My emotions are to blame.

Well, I'm sure a lot of people notice how hot-headed I am, how cruel I am, and how my emotions control me more than I control them.

Nevertheless, look at me—attempting to change for a special reason.

Casper is surprisingly here. He became more diligent in practice—not that he wasn't before. He's just exerting more effort now. I couldn't care less, maybe he would ditch us again last minute. I didn't realize I was staring at him so intently, and now he's looking at me with a puzzled expression. I quickly averted my gaze and didn't even bother to start a fight.

My playing style is typically careless and domineering. Peter may be the best support for me, but he's too tall and runs not so fast—yet he is good at jumping. He is our team's centre. Ace is our shooting guard; he makes a lot of shots on offense, his moves are swift and sharp. As our team's point guard, it is expected that I can match the energy of my teammates, create openings, and be a good ball handler. My teammates can't handle my energy and how quickly I throw the ball. I often let my dominating side get ahead of me, which is a big problem. Casper enters the picture at this point. He is our small forward, and he can play both inside and outside the court. Because he is a versatile player, he quickly adapts to my phase.

He used to be my basketball partner; our game style and dynamics works well together. Because we're both covering and supporting each other, our opponents are having a difficult time defeating us. It may sound awkward coming from me, but we were inevitable. During those times, I definitely thought I would be able to go to an international tournament, and have something to brag about to my father and brother—that I can be the best in something, too.

Our team works well... very well. That's what I thought back then.

Those dreams were shattered when Casper did not show up for the final game, which served as our entry point into international competition. I was even hoping he'd show up at the last minute, yet I was wrong. Some may wonder why I hated Casper because of that fact, but it means so much to me. Worst case scenario, I wasn't playing best that time mainly out of anger, and our concrete foundation collapsed easily. As a result, our momentum was also disrupted. Basically, our game performance was poor. The substitute couldn't even keep up with us because of nervousness. Casper didn't bother to explain what had happened to him. That's why the majority of our teammates were disappointed, and I was full of hatred towards him.

The vast bulk of the criticism was directed at me, and some even questioned why I was the team captain. I didn't care about other people, because I know I put in a lot of effort more than anyone. Not until it was my brother, as well as my father who criticized and humiliated me. Because of my ego and my clouded emotions, I blamed Casper for everything. However, it is my fault for putting too much faith and relying on him. I changed my game play after the incident. It's a difficult process, but I have no choice if I want to prove myself.