Chapter 106: Dispute

Braylon's POV

"Kuya..."

When I heard my sister calling, I immediately stood up straight from where I had been slouching in my car. In an attempt to see if Katelyn was with her, I quickly glanced around this area of the parking lot, but I couldn't spot her anywhere. My brow furrowed as I realized it was only Nadine alone approaching me.

"Where's Katelyn?" I asked, still roaming my eyes around.

"Hindi raw siya s-sasabay..." Nadine was avoiding my gaze while biting her lip repeatedly. I feel like there's something wrong because I know her so well.

My bewilderment was sparked when I fixed my attention on my sister and noticed how tense she appeared to be. "Why?"

"M-May nangyari kasi sa 'min kanina, K-Kuya. S-sorry," she answered. She even bit her trembling lips again.

"What do you mean? What happened?" I couldn't help but be concerned for my sister and Katelyn. I believe this to be an important concern even though I don't yet know what happened. Katelyn almost never refuses to be with Nads or with me.

Nadine heavily sighed as she spoke, "M-May nakasagutan kasi siya kanina... nakaaway rin. P-pero, misunderstanding lang naman. T-tapos..." she bowed her head, and I could tell that she was about to cry. Nadine's heart is the softest in the family, so she is easily scared or saddened, "tapos nagkaroon din kami ng m-misunderstanding. S-siguro dahil sa 'kin kaya a-ayaw niyang sumabay. S-Sorry, K-Kuya."

"No, Nads, it's not your fault," I countered softly, "whatever it is, it's not your fault."

I quickly retrieved my phone from my pocket and called Katelyn. When Katelyn did not respond, I held my nose bridge. She still didn't answer when I tried once more, twice, three times, and so on.

Please, Katelyn. Answer me, please.

I let out a sigh and unlocked the passenger-side car door. I cast a peek at my sister. "Get in. I'll find her. Wait for me here."

"T-thank you, K-Kuya. S-sorry t-talaga," she murmured sadly.

I simply nodded and gave up my previous objections that she wasn't at fault in this situation. Nadine had a habit of taking responsibility for the unpleasant things that occurred. She is constantly convinced that she is to blame for why someone close to her is angry or wounded. I just waited for her to settle into the passenger seat of my car before I closed the door and sped out of the parking lot.

I looked all throughout the area of their building, but I couldn't find Katelyn anywhere. I even asked numerous guards if they had seen her, but every single one of them said they had not. She still didn't return my calls, and I have no idea where I would look for her.

For the sake of searching outside in case Katelyn was already there, I made the decision to leave the school by walking and running. My face was being continuously drenched in sweat that was pouring from my forehead. I didn't give a damn if my feet were becoming tired. This had been a long, exhausting day, and my brain was all jumbled up and fatigued. Being a fourth-year Biology major is challenging. I didn't give up looking for Katelyn in spite of my weariness. So long as I get to talk to her, I'll rest my body—I'll rest with her.

I sprint outside for several minutes before I finally see a recognizable face close to the university's main entrance. A woman was standing in the waiting shed, appearing to be waiting for something—possibly a car or mode of transportation—with her scruffy mid-back length jet-black hair styled with bangs, a beige plain t-shirt, black high-rise barrel leg jeans, white sneakers, and a backpack. I recognized who I saw from a distance right away, and I can't be mistaken about who this is.