42| His Better Version

Start from the beginning

And thinking of her, longing and craving her gentle hands sliding over his shaking one's. For her plump lips kissing all the right spots.

Filling him with a warmth that made his lips almost involuntary say-

"I love you."

Archer took a deep shaky breath and let silent tears pool in his eyes.

He could now hear his mothers voice, saying those words. So clearly and bright his body rang with warmth. Her sweet honeyed voice saying those words that he lost long ago.

His brain couldn't figure out those three words, because only his heart could.

And now his heart knew what he needed.

~•~

Archer stood before Violet, more scared to lose her then he's ever been scared to do anything in his life.

Killing people felt easier than this.

Staring into pained eyes of the person you love.

Knowing you caused so much of that pain....

"You mean...more to me than the moon means to the ocean. I-I can't live or breath without you, without knowing you're safe and happy." His thumb swiped away a tear about to run down her face.

"Living without Donny....it's so hard. And it hurts so so much-" Violet said, her voice breaking off into choked sobs.

"I know, trust me I know." He whispered into the top of her head as his arms squeezed her tight, "I can't tell you it's going to be easy for either of us. But Donny...he put us together. A-and I promise you I will never leave."

He pulled away just enough to hold her face and look her in the eyes, his own tears watering his hues.

"We will do this together...I...I wanna get out of this house. Move to a smaller place, without bloody history and demons lurking around the corners, maybe with a backyard and pool." He wiped her tears, a sad smile on his lips, "Two floors, no armory, and most importantly...with you." He leaned his forehead into hers.

And finally, the smallest hint of a smile fell onto her lips and she whispered just to him, as if the words were too precious for the rest of the word, "I love you too, Archer Stark."

~•~

Arched watched Donavan's casket get lowered into ground

No birds chirped, the sky was full of clouds, and it was only him and Violet.

She was held tight into his side as they both watched wordlessly. But even though they weren't talking, the gentle rub of her hands on his back let him know she was there in every way.

It surprised him how quick the service was, there wasn't anyone else there, but the two of them shared the pain of millions.

And the stayed until he was buried, sitting in comfortable sad silence, hand in hand.

Archer looked to Violet, then to his other side.

And in an instant he could have sworn he felt the warmth of Donny's laugh, and felt a chill down his arm from a slight touch.

Violet gasped softly next to him almost simultaneously, "did you-?....never mind." She dismissed her thought but Archer turned to her and nodded.

"I felt it too."

Tears welled fast in her eyes and she whispered, "I love you Donny."

Archer quickly held her her and loosed a shaky breath, "yeah...I love you old man."

Violet sobbed into his chest, hard and fast and with the force of the world behind her wails.

He didn't know if he really believed in spirits or the afterlife or if they really thought Donny was here with them right, but Archer liked to believe. So he would.

After a moment Violet pulled away and looked up into his eyes, he smiled softly and grabbed her face. Pulling her into a tender kiss, and when they broke away they both stayed close.

"Where do we go now? Back home?" She sighed closing her eyes, she leaned her forehead against his.

"No, I don't ever want to go back there my love." He closed his eyes too, rubbing his thumb on the apple of her cheek.

"Me either."

"Then let's just go...somewhere else. Together."

"I really like that idea."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and she snaked her hands around his waist walking together like a puzzle piece finally fit together.

And that version, that dark, corrupted, and broken version of Archer, died right alongside Donny.

With Violet Moon tangled in his arms, Archer walked into his future.

~•~
A/n: there will be an epilogue!

~•~A/n: there will be an epilogue!