Chapter 71: Face it.

Harry POV. 

She hates me. 

I know she does. I'm a monster in her eyes. She'll never look at me the same way again. What the hell was I thinking? The look on her face said it all. I can't believe I let myself get carried away like that. 

I could've killed him. 

I'm on the way to the emergency room to visit someone who I've once called a friend. My best mate since middle school. I'm the reason he's here. All because of my shitty actions. Honestly, I am the monster. 

I pulled into the parking garage of the hospital. I sat in my car and collected myself enough to go inside. Hopefully, I can get the story straight. The plan is to say that a bunch of thugs beat him up and took off. That way, there is no one to point the finger at. Of course, that plan will go to shit if Zayn wakes up and tells the truth before I can save my ass. 

I had to lie to Carine and David. The consequences would be less harsh on Anna if Carine thought that she'd stolen the car to help Zayn with his car accident. It'd be ridiculous if Carine knew that Anna stole the car to break up a fist fight between two guys. Changing the reason to a more serious matter would soften the punishment on her end. As for me? Well, I'm not painted as the psycho who almost beat his best friend to death. I guess you could say it's a win, win. 

I've stalled in the car for long enough at this point. I have to go in there and face up to what I've done. I turned the car off and got out. It seemed like the walk from the car to the emergency room lobby was miles away. Maybe it felt that way because of how on edge I was. 

After what seemed like ages I finally reached the receptionist's desk. There was a brunette woman sitting at the computer. Her scrubs were decorated with little puppy dogs. The pattern brought a little sunshine to the dull and hectic atmosphere of the emergency department. She looked up at me with a polite yet, concerned smile. 

"Hello, what can I do for you today?" She asked. 

Her voice was calm and soothing. Perfect for a job like this. I'm sure this lady has seen some crazy shit roll up into this emergency room. It helps to remain as calm as possible to not ensue panic among visitors. 

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, Um... I'm here to visit a patient." 

"Can I have the name of the person you are trying to visit?" She asked. She rolled her chair towards the computer and waited for my response. 

"Zayn Malik. The last name is spelled M-A-L-I-K." 

She typed on the computer. she squinted at the screen in concentration. "Oh Yes. He's in room 304. Let me print you a visitors pass and a nurse will show you back there. What's your name?" she asked. 

"Harry Styles," I replied. 

She typed my name into the computer and then printed out a visitor's pass. She handed me the sticky paper with my name on it and I stuck it on my shirt. A nurse came from behind the counter and directed me to follow her through the double doors. 

We walked down a long hallway and around the corner. We finally reached a room labeled 304. The nurse opened the door to let me in. Zayn was laying on the bed. His face was bandaged up. I could hardly recognize him due to his swollen face. 

"His vitals are okay and he's stable. He hasn't woken up yet. The doctor should be back shortly. Call us if you need anything." The nurse let out a small smile and left the room. 

I walked over to the bed to get a closer look at Zayn. He laid there asleep. The only sound in the room was the monitor and the t.v. The t.v was set at a low volume. Looking at his face made my gut twist. I sat down in the chair next to the bed. I buried my head into my hands.

I started to realize how badly I reacted to the whole Zayn and Anna thing. Zayn wouldn't do anything to hurt Anna. I've known this guy for years. I don't think I've ever seen him be violent towards a girl before. He has sisters so he should understand where the protection comes from. 

I guess my being protective over Anna has gone a little too overboard. Who am I to tell Anna who she can and cannot talk to? As badly as I want her to be, she's not mine. I need to accept that. Acting like this and treating her the way I've been treating her isn't going to make her mine either. The only thing I've really done is push her further away. 

Looking at Zayn and the state he's in finally made me realize how messed up I truly am. I'm destroying everyone around me. I looked up and grabbed Zayn's hand. 

"I'm so sorry mate. I should've never done this. I don't what came over me. I really wish I could make it up to you. Please survive this. I begging you." 

I let out a small chuckle. "If you wake up, I'll let you beat the shit outta me. I deserve it. I'm a piece of shit and I'm a shit friend. I want my best mate back. I'm truly sorry mate. You were there for me when I needed you. I'll understand if you never forgive me but, please wake up." 

I received no response. I hung my head down in disappointment. I don't know why I thought that my little sappy speech would do anything. This isn't like the dramatic moves on television. I mentally face-palmed myself for being so stupid. 

Moments later I felt a little twitch in my hand. I looked to see Zayn's eyes moving back and forth under his eyelids. His mouth parted slightly and little gasps of air started to come out. I stared at him wide-eyed, in shock. 

I quickly jumped up and pushed the call nurse button. The nurses and doctors came flooding into the room. 

He's awake.  

Hi babes ;) 

How are ya'll doing? Let's just say I'm a mess. I have an ovarian cyst and my stomach is killing me but I got up and pushed through for you guys because ily sm. (Help me) *cries 

This book is also under editing. I'm trying to go back and fix some earlier mistakes that my younger self made. Be patient. If you're new here hi... welcome to the chaos. I'm sorry in advance.  

What do you think about Harry's growth and realization? Are we here for the character development and self-growth era? lmk your thoughts.  

Should Zayn forgive Harry? 

I love you and see you in the next chapter!

-xoxo Anna