Chapter 53

Chapter 53

**

Scarlett

The grip on my legs tightened as I heard the first sound of thunder. As the sounds followed rapidly with the pattering of water droplets touching the ground, my body shook and shivered with each resonate. I took control of my breathing and panic to as minimal as clutching the leg and gritting my teeth. I lost the count of hours I was here and just focused on hearing any sound of footsteps outside the room that could be familiar. On multiple occasion, I felt I heard my mother talking to someone as she would cackle up thinking I'm probably already dead, yet never bothered to confirm it by opening the door.

I was still shivering and pressed against the wall with my head on my arms when I first heard it. "Scarlett!" 

At first, I though it was in my head like when I pictured Ethan to be next to me. But when I heard multiple voice with heavy pounding of footsteps, I knew then. The relief that passed through my body was expressed in form of a loud sob that escaped my lips with rain pouring out of my eyes. I did not get up or move from my position. I just sobbed in relief, my heart ten pounds lighter, my shivering almost non-existing and my grip loosening itself from my legs and falling to my side.

The door to my room slammed opened, producing that stream of light that I've been craving. The footsteps stopped just in front of me. Slowly, I lifted my head starting from the expensive pair of shoes and stopping on the worried face of Ethan. The relief on his face was as visible as a big white spot on a black canvas. My sob slowed down with only occasional hiccups and teary eyes. 

As soon as my eyes connected with his, with all my fiber being, I got up and threw myself in his arms. They circled around his neck and gripped the cloth of his shoulder. I buried my face between his neck and shoulder while my legs stayed suspended in the air. I pushed myself closer as his hands immediately wrapped around my waist and his own face buried in my hair. His grip tightened as I let my body to ease from how tense it has been ever since I've been locked in the room. 

"I was strong. I fought it. I fought my claustrophobia." I cried as my fingers dug through his shirt. 

"Yes, you did. My strong fighter." He mumbled in my hair. "I am so proud of you, Scarlett. So very proud."

Maybe these were the words I've been wanting to hear for a long time as I felt like I was floating when they registered in my brain. My grip on Ethan loosened as I felt numerous pins poking through my body and my vision getting blurry. I blinked to erase the black spots invading my vision and found myself to failing. I felt the blood rushing to my head, making me lightheaded and dizzy. 

Soon, the feeling of control left my body as my arms dropped to my side when it received no signal from my brain. Internally, I struggled to keep floating, but the water of darkness kept pulling me inside.

"Scarlett," a voiced echoed around my hazy vision. "Keep your eyes open, love. Scarlett!"

I wanted to yell that I was trying. I blinked. I blinked only for my image to grow more and more blurry. The temperature of my body dropped as a thick dry lump formed in my throat. I realised that I was panicking in lost for control. I was fighting an internal battle that I was bound to lose. 

I took deep breathes and let my eyelids flutter close, only to open when I heard different voices calling my name. I lost control of my legs and they failed to hold my body stable anymore. A strong pair of arms kept a firm hold on me. I opened my eyes and through my foggy eyes, I looked up and smiled as I realised that I was resting against Ethan's chest. I let my eyes close again as I cuddled in his warm and wet chest.