Chapter 44

Chapter 44

**

Ethan

The last phone call with Scarlett swirled an uneasy feeling in my stomach. The way she disconnected the call made me curious as well as alert of the person in front of her.

Without thinking twice, I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and rushed downstairs with only one person in my mind. Scarlett.

Quickly, I drove to Scarlett's workplace. Giving my keys in the valet, I ran inside looking around to spot Scarlett. I found few familiar faces of the staff currently at duty and major new faces of guest lurking around the lobby.

Deciding to check her changing room, I moved in that direction and stopped a few feet away from the Staff Changing Room. The scene in front of me was surprising. Scarlett, who has always supported Lizzy against Hazel, was now protecting the latter woman.

I watched in amaze as Scarlett exchanged words with Lizzy and slowly lowered her hand down. She then turned to Hazel and muttered something which caused the latter woman to nod and pass Lizzy one glance before turning to leave. I should've searched for a place to hide when I saw Hazel walking in my direction, but I was frozen in my spot.

Hazel stopped a few steps away in front of me with a smile. She crossed her arms and glanced back before returning her gaze back to me. I followed her vision and notices Scarlett talking rapidly with Lizzy with her hands moving along with her words.

"Ethan, I am surprised to see you here. I shouldn't be, but I am." Hazel said with a smirk.

"I should be saying that instead." I replied, forcing my eyes to stay connected with Hazel's and to not let them wander back to woman of my interest, though that would be a pleasure to my eyes even in her baggy and unkept clothes. "What are you doing here, Hazel?"

"Why? I can't visit this hotel? I used to have a lot of meetings here. In fact, I cracked my first interview here itself. You were there to congratulate me." She said, her words mocking more than reminiscing.

"That was a long time ago when we were together, but we aren't anymore."

"That doesn't mean I can't come here. This place is lucky for me. I had meeting here today and I got an opportunity to showcase my clothing line."

"Congratulations." I greeted, happy to see her flourishing so greatly in her career. "I am happy that things are working out for you, but whenever you meet Scarlett, things go south from there. I don't trust you near her."

"You don't trust anyone near her but yourself." She counter backed, almost immediately. "How far have you fallen for her, Ethan?"

I gritted my teeth together. The range of my feelings for Scarlett was my business and the fact that Hazel can already see it and question it, makes me angry. "That's none of your business."

She chuckled and moved closer to me, leaning towards my ears. I balled my hand in fist as she spoke. "Man up and confess your feelings before something else happens to her."

I recoiled back and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Something else happens to her? What does she mean by that? Scarlett has been facing a lot of dangerous situation these past days and only a handful of people know about it and as far as I know, Scarlett must not have informed Hazel about it. Her saying such words rose an air of suspicious around her. Could there be a possibility that Hazel is behind hurting Scarlett and not Lizzy? Her relation with Lizzy is strained as per Scarlett's words which basically means that Hazel hates Lizzy's guts and vice versa. The scene in front of me a few minutes ago was a proof of that. Could there be a possibility of Hazel putting her assistant up to fake Lizzy's name, in name of hatred?