57

NF - Let You Down

Back and forth then in circular motions, soothing and gentle, Rory rubbed her belly as she laid on the mattress, staring up at the light fixtures. Her movements replicated what Gideon used to do before bed and in the early mornings before he started his day.

He used to touch her while her hormones raged, pumping in and out; giving her the release of her life again and again until she was overcome with ecstasy.

She missed him and it seemed every day her will to live on dimmed.

Every second and every breathe without him felt like a knife twisting into her chest, deeper and deeper but she just won't die.

How could she look at their son when he'll only remind her of him and of the biggest mistake she ever made?

She took the life of his father and he was now forced to grow up without one.

"I'm so sorry." She murmured. Her voice cracked and a sob escaped her trembling lips. "I'm so sorry that I'm weak and that I'll never be strong enough to take care of you. Not the way he could've taken care of you. Please forgive me baby."

The door of her prison rattled and the usual maid - Carla - entered, carrying a tray of hot food. In the corner of her eye, she watched Carla, unruly red hair and hazel eyes, stride carefully towards the end of her makeshift mattress.

From her careful movements, Rory could tell that middle aged woman was new to her role. She messed up; spilling the soups and condiments - so unlike the others who walked and carried with themselves with poised.

It made her an easy obstacle to overcome.

Carla, before leaving the room, did a double take to ensure everything was in place. She did that often - afraid she had forgotten something and would have to come back later.

Luci had make it clear to all the staff that Rory was to have little human contact as possible.

Like it made a difference. She was locked away in her father's mansion, hidden as a mistake that tainted his social status. Then, she was married off to an overbearing and possessive man that kept her on surveillance 24/7. Being locked away was she all ever known.

And she was tired of it.

She was getting out of here and back to her family. Even if Gideon was dead he still left behind an army of loyal soldiers. She would be protected - their son would be protected - if she could just get back to them.

When nightfall, Rory waited for Carla to return; curled up and hidden under the blankets. She noticed that her prison was spotless that morning after. Bathroom cleaned and restock, dust and debris gone. How Carla managed not to wake her was a mystery.

Moments later, the door rattled and Carla tiptoed inside with her basket of cleaning supplies. First, she picked up the tray of half eaten food and wobbled to back to the door, sliding the tray aside.

Rory moved quick, taking the opportunity to woven her fingers into Carla's unruly locks and her free hand to clamp over the woman's mouth - keeping her hushed.

She dragged Carla cross the room while she put on a feeble attempt to break free.

"I'm so sorry." Rory gasped, "I have to get back
home." She swallowed. "Please understand."

Kicking open the door to the en-suite bathroom where a tub filled to the brim sat in the corner of the room, waiting. Rory forced Carla onto her knees and with all her strength, guided her head into the water with rugged breathes. Her heart raced and sweat glistened her forehead as she watched the bubbles surfaced.