31

The 1975 - Somebody Else

Two nights without Gideon in bed with her was hellish. Rory silently and shamefully prayed his work in Germany wrapped up soon so he'd comeback to her. A good night sleep was all she wanted, craved for. Massaging her temple, she stared into the mirror and grimace in displeasure.

Her face was pale, eyes sunken into the dark bags surrounding her eyes and she had lost colours in her lips. They were chapped no matter how much gloss she put on them. She was practically a walking corpse, and it was only over 48 hours since Gideon was gone.

Rubbing her tired eyes, Rory suddenly noticed the thick rim around her ring finger. It was paler than than the rest of her hands due to the blaring sun. Her rings were missing.

Frantically, she began searching the bedroom for the rings. They were expensive, costing millionaires of dollars. Cursing underneath her breath, she rummaged under the pillows, the mattress and crawled under the bed. Nothing.

They were nowhere.

Her wedding band was simple hence, missable but her engagement ring with the enormous diamonds was a different story. She can't miss that, no one can. It was meant to show off Gideon's wealth as well as her worth to him.

Rory dreaded Gideon'a reaction. Would he be angry at her?

A knock on the door caused her pounding heart to jump in her chest. Rory scrambled to her feet and darted for the door. A sigh of relief flooded her body when she saw Alvaro standing outside with his hands in his cargo trouser pockets. He ditched his cap and his work overalls for nearly combed hair and a knitted sweatshirt.

"Good you're here!" She exclaimed. "I've lost my rings. Help me find them please or else Gideon is going to crazy!" Crazier than he already was.

"When did you see them last?" He asked, averting his gaze elsewhere. "We can start from there."

Scratching the back of her head, Rory glanced at him sheepishly. "Honestly I don't remember." She shrugged.

It was the truth. All her mind, body and soul could reminisced was utter exhaustion.

"I'm sure if you batter your eyelashes at him, he'll won't be angry." Alvaro teased, hoping to end the search as soon as possible.

He didn't want to waste time looking for the rings when he knew exactly where they were - with Luci. He checked his watch, it was a few hours until their flight took off, they needed to check in at the airport.

"Want to help with food shopping?" He asked, flashing her a mischievous grin.

It'd be easier if he could just tell her however, Luci instructed him not to expose anything to until she was certain Rory could be trusted. At the moment, Luci was under the impression that Rory feared Gideon too much which risked her spilling everything to him.

His orders were to get her out of the country and out of Gideon's reach.

"Hmm," She hummed, thinking. "María said Gideon will call me soon. I can't miss his call."

"I'm sure María or Juan can stall him until we get back." He said, carefully trying to mask his sudden burst of desperation. "What if he's too busy to call and you'll just going to miss out on seeing Medellín at night."