35

Olivia Rodrigo - 1 step forward, 3 steps back

Her husband was perched on a big, leather chair. Surprised, she couldn't believe a chair that size existed. He looked up from his laptop and scowled when he saw her. When he slammed it shut, the force rattled the content on his desk and she flinched back.

The noise startling her.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He roared, angrily striding to meet her at the door.

His hands reached for her throat first, pressing tightly and blocking her airway. Rory scratched his arms while her pupil dilated, pulse racing and breathing rough. All the signs of fear.

His big body caged her against the wood with the handle digging into her lower back, adding to the pain. There was no way out for her especially when he held her in a death grip by the throat.

Fear, terror and regret. The first emotions Gideon saw flash across her face. This time, however, he did not relish in her frighten state. He didn't enjoy it like before when he used it to control her.

Immediately, he dropped his arms to the side; releasing her neck from his hold. Her pale skin had been slightly red and marked by his palms. He stepped back allowing her room to gather herself. She choked and cough, gasping for air.

"Why are you here?" He asked again, sounding stoic.

"Sebastian dropped me off." She explained weakly, still pressed up against the door. Her hand had found the handle and if he lunged at her again, she was bolting out of here. "He wanted me to talk to you."

"Let me guess, he sent you here because he doesn't want to go to war with the Herreras." Gideon spat; eyes flashing murder. "Coward."

He was talking about Cristian Herrera, the businessman on the news.

"He wants you to reconsider." She continued. He cocked his head to the side and gave her a twisted grin.

"Why didn't he ask me himself?"

"He said it was my fault that you're doing this so I had to do it." She gulped, repeating Sebastian's accusation.

He chuckled and turned back to his desk, sinking gracefully into the chair. Sometimes, she found herself marvelling at how he moved around the rooms he dwarfed.

Finally, Rory released the door handle from her death gripped and favoured just leaning against the wooden frame. She didn't want to get too close to him, just in case he pounced. Again.

"It's your fault, is it?" He muttered, leaning his head back against the chair. "Why is it your fault?"

"Because you're angry at me." She choked out. "Because I ran away."

This was the first time they were addressing her escape attempt with Alvaro and her mother. She tentatively awaited his response, her hands creeping to the door handle; readied if he attacked. Instead, he spun in his chair, closing his eyes like he hadn't heard what she said.

She stood timidly in his domineering presence and when it became unbearable, she pulled down the handle attempting to flee.

Half way out the door, she caught the view of him snapping his eyes opened. They were crazed. He jerked forward wiping the content off his desk to the carpeted floor. He roared, destroying practically all the content that was in his line of vision.

Rory trampled back, body seizing up in fright when his dark eyes locked on her.

She let the door closed for it to only ripped open seconds later. Wrath rolled off him in waves. He appeared calm just moments ago but what made switched him?