30

Halsey - Castle

Luciana Torres

The first night, after Gideon left for Germany, was harder than she thought

The first night, after Gideon left for Germany, was harder than she thought. Rory didn't sleep a wink no matter how hard she tried. She clutched the toy rabbit close to her chest and breathe in Gideon's scent. Tomorrow, his scent will be gone since the housekeepers changed their sheets everyday.

She pressed on the toy's feet and Gideon's voice brought her a moment of calmness. God, she hated herself for being so weak. Was she not born with a backbone?

She groaned in annoyance after twisting and turning in the sheets. Rory rolled onto Gideon's side of the bed, hoping his lingering scent will help her calmly sleep tonight. Even if it was just one night.

She was wrong.

Her nightmares kept her awake, swallowing her whole each time her eyelids fluttered close. Heart racing, breath rugged and the sound of her pulse getting louder and louder. She was alone in the bedroom yet it felt like she wasn't, it felt like something or someone was here too.

Rory reached for the switch, flooding the room with bright lights. She observed the master bedroom - there was nothing in here with her.

That night she laid awake with the lights on, encasing her in a fake protection. Nothing was capable of saving her from the darkness that lived in head and her heart. Especially, if she laid, clinging onto the arms of the darkness itself.

Morning came and she moved, like a zombie, completing her daily routine.

Rory groggily headed downstairs to the dining room where Cielo and Luci were already digging into their breakfast.

"Morning," Luci said, cautiously. "Did you sleep at all last night?"

"Yes." She lied, sinking down in the seat opposite Cielo.

Her hands were practically shaking as she poured herself a cup of coffee - black, no sugar. Everyone watched with a warily expression, it was unlike her to drink coffee, she was tea and hot coco type of girl.

"I just need the kick." She sighed, lifting the cup to her lips.

Grimacing at the bitterness, Rory placed the cup back down and picked up her cutlery, digging into the traditional Colombian breakfast. Her mind drifted to Gideon, wondering if he made it to Germany. What would he be doing if he was? Probably killing someone he didn't like.

The scrambled eggs go down roughly at thought of him going to Germany to simply kill someone. It's what he did besides providing two sides of a war weapons to destroy each other. Gideon killed people who wronged him and no one was the exception to his rule.

~*~

It was noon when Alvaro found Rory at the dog's kennels, stroking the coat of Mariposa and Zorro. The look in her eyes said she wanted to unchain Feliz and, thankful he gotten there before she did. Otherwise, the mutt would've taken a chuck out of her too.