54

SOMI - XOXO

"Look at me." He ordered. His tone harbouring no affection; sending ice cold chills through her veins.

She hesitantly lifted her eyes to find his dark orbs piercing through her facade. Through the layers of defence she thought she had put up. To protect herself, her heart and to clear her mind. He broke down all her defences by pinning her with a narrow glare; shattering everything she thought was certain.

He won't believe anything she'd say. And, she wasn't sure if she actually did too.

Gideon picked up the divorce papers and tore the pages down the middle. Then again and again until there was nothing left but tiny torn squares. He threw the paper on the floor; the pieces fluttering through the air helpless. He never tore his eyes off her, watching her with an unreadable scrutiny.

"Please." She begged with an exasperated whine. "I don't want to do this anymore."

"I'm going to get out." He told her. "Everything will be fine, again."

Nothing had ever been fine with them.

"Even when you know that I had a part in this?" She asked quietly.

The tension in the room rose a notch and it was so eerily silent that she swore her the sound of her wild pulse could be heard.

Gideon's jaw visibly ticked causing Rory to take a few steps back. He was angry and was trying desperately to not show it. But, calm Gideon was always worst than angry Gideon.

There was enough space between them now that he couldn't reach her thanks to his chains limiting his movements.

"I put you here, Gideon." She said. "Did Gabriela tell you that?"

"I know and I'm not angry at you."

Unintentionally, she scoffed; crossing her arms over her chest. She felt the anger rise in her stomach but she wasn't exactly sure why she was so angry. Maybe because he didn't meet her expectations; that he wasn't going batshit crazy as she thought he would.

It would have made it easier to walk away if he did.

"Yeah, you shouldn't be." She spat. "You have no right to be angry at me. Especially not after what you've done."

Shaking off the reins that controlled her, Rory took a confident stride towards him, getting into his face. She raised her chin and glared into his eyes. Her skin pulsed with anxiety and sweat broke on her forehead.

Who was she too stand against a man like him? He could crash her throat with one hand right now.

"I thought we were pass this." He growled, staring her down yet she didn't falter. "I thought we were good."

"When was anything good with us? There's only ever pain, hatred and control with us. We will never be good because of all the things you've done." She averted her gaze when she felt the tears blurred her vision. Like always, he had the power to make her feel so weak.

"Gideon, you kidnapped me, force me into a marriage that I didn't want." Rory gritted her teeth, fighting the emotions rising in her chest. "You killed my family and oh god, you must've killed more people before that too. And, and you, you killed Alvaro. He was my first friend, he was innocent and you killed him!"

The tears spilled, hot and harsh that her eyes stung. Gideon felt his chest tightened and he circled his arms around her protectively. He kissed her forehead, her cheeks and her shoulders. He hummed in his usual low tone that put her at ease. Instantly, Rory moulded into his body, finding comfort in his scent and warmth.