23

Birdy - Wild Horses

NOT PREGNANT.

The words flashed in front, lighting up like a blessing. This was the only good news she to come out of her hellish experiences as Gideon's wife. She was not carrying his baby, there was still hope.

Happy tears shot down her cheeks and for the first time she smiled so brightly.

"Mrs Torres?" Vivian called through the door. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah!" She shouted back. "Everything is alright!"

She got off the floor, wiped her tears and discarded the content into the trash. She practically skipped out of the bathroom, a joyous smile on her face.

"So?" Vivian asked, nervously.

"I'm not pregnant." She smiled, "I told you I just ate too much food."

Vivian clenched her jaw, tilting her head to the side in confusion at the big grin on the girl's face. It was the first time she had seen such a bright smile reaching her eyes. Those emerald orbs were not filled with sadness or worry - there was no fear nor panic rolling off her.

This was not a mask to hide sadness of not being pregnant, it was true joy. She was beyond happy.

"Well," Vivian said, moving onto the next topic. She would have to inform her boss later. "What do you want to do today?"

"I want to go out!" She beamed, "I want to see Singapore. I've never visited here before."

Rory didn't want her trip to Singapore to end up like Greece where she never got the chance to explore the country. She pleaded her eyes causing the older woman to frown. She fished out her phone from her photo and dial Gideon's number. She was instructed to not let her leave without his permission, and Gideon's orders were always absolute.

No one wanted their heads decorated with bullets.

"What is it?" He gruffly answered.

"Mrs Torres wishes to explore the city." She informed him. "Does she have your permission to leave?"

"Put her on the phone." He ordered.

Vivian gave Rory the phone and that big grin flatten into a straight line.

"Hello?" She stammered.

"What is it that you want?" He asked. Gideon wanted to hear it from her, for her to ask him directly for the things she wanted.

"To go outside." She replied, "I've never been to Singapore before."

"If that's what my wife wants then that's what my wife gets." He chuckled, "You can go out, Rory. You can do whatever you want as long as you know where your place is."

There was a warning to his tone, he was silently telling her not to run away again. She clutched her chest, feeling it shake nervously.

"Where is your place?"

"Next to you." She breathed with stuttering words.

~*~

Securities, at least five of them, followed Rory wherever she went. They trailed behind with their menacing structures and blank look. Thankfully, they were considerate enough to follow metres away, often standing near exits no doubt intending to cut off all her escape routes.

True to her words, Rory had no desire to run away especially after what he did to her. Her skin on her back and calves were healing nicely with no signs of deep scarring but the cut on her collarbone was a different story. It had blacken and dead skin was beginning to flake off. The worst part was that it was so itchy and she had to scratch it which earned her a scolding from Vivian.