2.28. Chasing cars

"Babe?" Louis spoke.

They had been driving in comfortable silence, well Harry was driving and Louis was just looking outside the window while they were listening to the music coming out of the car's speakers. It was a 5 hour drive to Manchester and they were only halfway there.

"Mmm?" Harry hummed.

"Should I be with you when you pick up the girls?" Louis wondered.

"Because of Valerie's parents you mean?" Harry asked.

"Yes".

"If you're not comfortable coming with me, we can go to my mum's first and you can stay there while I go to the city to get the girls" Harry offered.

"I kind of want to see Manchester though, I haven't been there since... well, since the day I left you" Louis explained.

"Then you can come with me, they're not going to say anything to you" Harry told him "And they have to get used to you being around, we're going to be married soon, and that means you'll be part of the twins' life for the rest of their lives".

"Yeah... you're right" Louis nodded "I'll stay in the car, though".

"Whatever you want, love".

"Okay" Louis accepted "Hey...".

"Yeah?" Harry asked.

"Before we pick up the girls, do you think we could drive by our old flat?" Louis requested.

"Why do you want to do that?" Harry frowned.

"I don't know... nostalgia?" Louis guessed "Despite everything that happened, we had some good times there, didn't we?".

"We did" Harry admitted.

"So can we go?" Louis asked again.

"Sure, baby" Harry agreed.

"Thanks" Louis replied.

They stopped about half an hour later, just to get gas and stretch their legs a little, and then they continued their way to Manchester.

"The city hasn't changed much" Louis said when they finally arrived and Harry drove across the streets of the city "There's a few new buildings, but that's it".

"Cities like this don't change much in 10 years" Harry pointed out.

"I guess you're right..." Louis mumbled as he looked out the window.

They were getting near their old flat, and it suddenly made Louis nervous for some strange reason, but he knew it made no sense so he told himself to be cool.

Then Harry turned a corner, and there it was, the place that he had called home once.

"It looks the same" Louis mumbled as Harry pulled over.

"Yeah..." Harry agreed.

"When we moved here I was convinced this was going to be the first of many homes we would have together" Louis commented "But I never thought we would only stay for a few months".

"You were still right" Harry told him "This was our first home together, and when we get married and you move into my house, it will be our second home, and once we buy our house, that will be our third".

"So you will let me buy us a house?" Louis questioned, because they hadn't talked about that again.

Harry look at him, his eyes squinting a little.

"Don't let your pride get in the way" Louis warned him.

"Alright, alright" Harry accepted "But I will pay for everything else house and kid related until the day we die".