Chapter One Hundred Thirty Two

Spencers POV

      The party did wind down a little bit, even dropping a few of the people to sleep.

      But Tony wasn't done.

      "Okay, Spence. I do have one more surprise for you."

      "Are you trying to outdo her girlfriend, Tony?" Nat asks.

      "Of course not. Just trying to help give her the best birthday ever," he says like it's obvious.

     "You really didn't have to do any of this let alone anything more. I really appreciate it but.."

     "No." Tony sticks up his finger, waving it back and forth for emphasis. "No buts. You have missed a lot of birthdays.."

     I go to interject and he sees this, so he keeps going, but louder.

     "AND you deserve more than all of this. You have been a great friend not only to me but to everyone in this room. For being a criminal mastermind, you've turned out alright, kid."

     Nat scoffs, about to comment.

     Once again Tony keeps going, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I remember you making a comment about it a while ago."

     He pulls out a smaller box, handing it over to me. "Go on. Open it."

     He has a glint in his eye and it makes me suspicious. So I slowly remove the packaging. "If you're trying to propose, Tony, you have some stiff competition." I joke.

     Nat squeezes my thigh.

     "Don't worry, love. I would definitely choose you. Well, depending on how big this rock is," I push my limits with that one.

     I kiss her cheek and whisper, "I love you" against her ear. "Don't worry, I'd just sell the ring to take you on a trip. A really nice one."

     The red tint that grows across her cheeks is enough to make my smile bigger.

     She has no comment.

     Once the box is opened it reveals a watch.

     "Oh, cool. Thanks Tony! Can never have too many accessories." I say already going to put it around my wrist, which Nat helps me with.

     "You're welcome. But that is no basic watch."

     "Do not tell me it has a hologram feature?!" I start looking at the watch a little closer. "Ooh! Or lasers? I mean, it does at least tell time.."

     "Spencer."

     I look up, "yeah?"

     "It's a suit. Though lasers would have been cool."

     "A suit?"

     "You said you didn't have one. Now you do."

     I stiffen. Is he trying to get me to be an avenger? Or is he assuming I am going to since I'm moving in with Nat?

     "Um.. should I have gone with lasers?"

     "I don't really need a suit.. I'm not an avenger," I say it a little harsher than I really intended.

     "I know that. I'm not trying to make you one. But if you ever choose to go out with Nat or Yelena or whatever, you can. Or if you just want to wear it FOR Nat.."

      I hold up my hand. "Okay. I get it." Then I share a genuine smile. "Thank you Tony. Means a lot."

      I get up and hug him, he actually hugs back.