Chapter Forty Eight

Spencer's POV

      Nat is ready to listen and I guess I'm ready to talk. You're about to hear my whole life story. Are you ready to be bored to death? Please, just give me a chance.

      "I um, had parents. It was good for awhile, from what I remember. Not that it lasted long. All I know is that one day, we're sitting around the table eating the dinner I helped my mom prepare and the next they were both on the ground, dead. It took one shot to the head but the blood that surrounded them looked like it could fill a lake. I remember standing in it for a moment, like everything else froze and it was just me watching my two parents bleed out. Not that they had any life before they hit the ground. But it was like I was watching their souls leave their body and leave me behind."

      I take a deep breath because I'm already about to lose it and I've barely begun.

      "Then in just a flash, everything caught up to reality, I was being pulled away. I didn't even fight, how pathetic is that? I was so numb I just let them take me." Yelena's hand on my back gave me some comfort to keep going.

      "I was taken to some crappy cold cell that became my home for what I've guessed was about ten years. I was only five when..

      "Anyway, I don't know if you guessed it or not, but it was hydra that grabbed me." I give a weak smile and continue, "I had no idea why they chose me. Why they did what they did. The torture and tests and injections. I didn't understand how someone could do that to me. I was five, I didn't.. I hadn't done anything."

      I pause to get my thoughts together. Yelena gives me a nudge. I smile at her, feeling comfort in her embrace. "You okay?" She asks me quietly.

      I just nod my head because I am but I know I have so much more to say.

      "I grew up thinking that I was nothing. That I deserved all the pain and anger. That I wasn't worthy. Until I went numb with everything. I had no hope. I had no desire to do anything. My parents were ripped form my grasp and I was taken by crazy people. I didn't have much to look up to or forward to. Days passed by in what felt like months.

      "At some point I gave up thinking someone would save me. That there was someone who cared and I would get out of there. If I was going to make it, it was up to me. I couldn't give up because they wouldn't let me. It didn't matter if I was half dead, I still got dragged along for more test. I had gathered they were trying to turn me into some super powered mindless soldier. And it was working. For the most part.

      "I angered them. I wasn't gaining any powers. Nothing was changing and they had spent so much time and money on me. I knew my usefulness was coming to an end for them.

      "All I had was some super strength and they couldn't do much with that I guess.

      "I don't know how it happened or when really. I wasn't doing anything special but, one day, my hand went invisible. I panicked of course but knew I couldn't show them.

      "Yes, they would keep me alive, but what would I be turned into?

      "So when I heard that they were expecting some big wig from outer space to come for whatever reason, all I knew is that I had to use this as my escape."

      "Wow.. Spencer.. I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve that," Nat has so much sympathy I almost hate it.

      "It's okay. I know that now. But when you're a kid you kind of don't think so? Which I know you and Yelena went through so much more so I don't.."