Chapter Twenty Six

Spencer's POV

      I'm free? I'm free. I'm free. I'm free. I keep repeating this to myself as the words Yelena just said ring in my head; they killed Thanos. He's gone. He can't hunt me anymore. I no longer have to look over my shoulder for some purple giant. It doesn't seem real.

   I never thought I'd be free from the hold he's had on me, even from afar. And now, it's all over? I really want this to be real. I pinch myself. I literally pinch myself. I feel it.

  I'm not even sure how to feel if I feel anything? And I should be happy, ecstatic. And I am. But.. most of me is waiting for the ball to drop. For real life to slap me in the face and bring me right in front of him.

   And I don't understand why I feel like this. I should feel more release. I should feel better, happier. I will myself to only feel the happiness, the freedom. And soon enough it's true. I've gotten pretty good at focusing on what I need to.

   "Hey, Spencer, are you okay?"

   I look at her, "yeah. I'm good. I just feel like I should be happier? I'm happy he's gone. But I feel like it can't be real, ya know?"

   "Look at me." I do. "He's gone. I promise. It's over."

   And it all just comes out; I burst into tears, sobs taking over my whole body as Yelena just holds me.

   I eventually have no more tears left in me, and I honestly feel better. "Uh, thank you. Sorry."

   "No need to apologize for how you feel, Spencer. It's a lot. You've been carrying a lot. I'm so glad you can let some of that go now." She's holding my shoulders, leaning forward until our foreheads touch.

   I smile as I say, "thank you. For everything. For listening. I owe you so much."

   "No you don't. I'm your best friend. It's what we do. I'm sorry I freaked out at first, but I'm not going to tell anyone. About any of it. Just.. can you promise not to be the big bad Ghost anymore?"

   "Yeah. I think I could do that. For you."

   "Thank you."

   "I love you."

  "I love you."

   "On a small side note, I may have done a few small jobs since being back here.. nothing bad, I promise! Just to keep the money flowing. And to keep my skills up."

   This earns me a quirked eyebrow.

"I got bored while you were gone!"

   She rolls her eyes, but still replies with, "you don't know how to stay still," which we both just laugh at.

   "Wait a damn minute!" Yelena suddenly exclaims and I tilt back, slightly surprised by her outburst. "That means you have powers!!"

   I nervously chuckle, "oh, uh, yeah, I do." I've never really talked to anyone about my powers before so I just let her take control of where this goes.

   "So what can you do?! You turn invisible, right?"

   To answer her question, I simple make my hand disappear. She's impressed.

   "Holy shit. So what's the extent? Like could you make me invisible? And other objects? How many things can you make invisible? For how long?"

   Her bombardment of questions ends and I try to answer them all. "Well, that's a loaded question," I laugh out. "Yes, I can make you invisible and just about anything else, though I haven't tried an object bigger than a car. I believe the most things I've made invisible at once was.. maybe ten? I had to hide myself and the whole sorry job I was doing from some security dude. I learned after that. Um, for how long.. a day? And that was mostly an accident. Forgot to become visible."