Chapter Ninety Seven

Spencers POV

      I stand there for a beat, listening to my heart try to leap out of my chest. It's doing a really good job.

I have no idea what just happened. It was a big blur that seemed to drag out, but it all happened in the matter of seconds.

      Then my empty head is once again filled with some logic and it's telling my body to go after her.

      I am quite sure she is going to her room. Well, I'm hoping so anyway so I have a chance to talk to her. If she is going to the meeting room with everyone, well, I may be out of luck.

      Holding my breath and with my fingers crossed, I teleport, landing just inside of her room,
in front of her closed door.

       At first glance, she isn't anywhere in here and I fear I won't have a chance to talk with her. But then I hear sniffles. Hers, of course. And I'm the cause of it.

Such a jackass, I am.

The bathroom door is closed and I see a line of light emitting from the small sliver of space at the bottom. So, it's safe to guess that's where she is.

       I know I could teleport in there, but I'm not for reasons that should be obvious.

       Instead, I cautiously walk over to the door, hardly daring to make a peep. I give the door a light knock, "love, are you okay?"

       There's some silence, but I am able to hear a soft sob. It breaks me. I keep bringing her to tears. I keep making her feel like this. I don't even deserve her in the first place.

All I want to do is wrap her in my arms. To hold her close. To protect her. I've done a shit job of that. I'm the one she needs protecting from.

       After too long without anything, I get an, "I'm fine." It comes out cold and short. I can't say I blame her, but I know she's just trying to bring some of that wall back up.

I can't.. I won't let that happen.

       "Love.. can I please come in," I plead.

       "No, Spencer. I said I'm fine. Go away. I have to get ready for a mission," she's still using that harsh tone, but she's talking to me at least.

       "No. No way," I'm shaking my head even though I know she can't see me. "I'm not leaving. I'm not letting you leave when.."

      "Why? Why did you.. why were you.." It's soft. I can tell she's trying not to let more tears fall. She's trying to let those walls keep them in.

      I put my forehead on the door along with the palms of my hands, trying to get closer. "Please. Please just let me in," I'm begging.

      I hear some ruffling that I'm hoping is her moving to the door. My hopes come true when I hear the small click. She doesn't open the door, but she isn't stopping me from entering anymore.

She's letting me in.

       With a deep breath, I slowly turn the knob, push the door open, and take a step inside.

       She's leaning over the sink, looking into the mirror. It seems as though she's messing with her hair. She is definitely doing her best to avoid looking at me.

       I tentatively take the few steps over to her, then slowly reach out to grab her hands and turn her towards me. She is successful at still avoiding me, keeping her gaze down at the ground.