Chapter One Hundred Twenty Four

Nats POV

      It's been a whole week since I got the phone call from Tony about the failed mission. They've been tracking any lead they can, raiding any place that seems likely.

      They're still chasing them.

      Spencer asked if I had heard anything, of course. And I'm not lying, I'm just doing my best to not send her spiraling. I don't want her to go through that again.

       So I've told her they found the location and took the people there back to question them. Which they did. They just didn't get all of them. Or the leaders.

      But I'm still here and she's almost done with the tattoo appointments she had lined up. So I'm going to have to come clean and tell her that we're guessing almost half of the group is still at large.

       They got as much information as they could out of the ones left in the building. But they were left there because they weren't as important, so their information is limited. At least, that's what they tell us.

      Yeah, I really want to go interrogate the little shits myself, but then I'd have to leave Spencer.

      And I just have this feeling that.. if I leave her.. something will happen. I'm not saying it makes sense, but the feeling is still true nonetheless.

      So I'm a little torn.

      But I'm choosing Spencer.

      I'll have my chance with them. They'll regret everything they have ever done once I do.

      But until then, we wait.

—————

       It's been another long day of tattoos for Spencer so I surprised her with dinner once she got home. She was.. very grateful. If you know, you know.

        Now her and I are relaxing in bed while watching a movie. Well, kind of. The movie is on. We're way more focused on each other, though.

        Don't worry, Yelena is on a mission so we've had the house to ourselves. And we've been using it wisely.

——————

      "Fucking finally. Little assholes. When are you going?"

      It's around midnight. Spencer is still asleep in our room. I'm currently pacing around the kitchen, trying to be as far away from Spencer as possible so she doesn't hear the conversation I'm having with Tony.

      I'm not keeping secrets. I just didn't want to wake her up. Besides, if all of what Tony is telling me is true, then I can tell her soon.

      "Well, we're trying to play this smart, Nat. We don't want to jump the gun and tip them off."

      I huff. "Really? I never thought I'd hear the great Iron Man say he doesn't want to go into something guns blazing." I don't mean to be a little rude, but I kind of am.

      He sighs. "I know you're worried about Spencer, Nat. But this is how we help her. We get these guys. We do it right. If we plan it out and go in there to capture and question, it could lead us to the rest of this crazy ass group."

      "I know. It's just frustrating being here and not knowing what's going on. Or being able to go on the mission. Or be able to interrogate the assholes."

      "You are more than welcome to join us in doing any of that."

      "And you know there's no way in hell I'm leaving Spencer."