Chapter Eighty One

Nats POV

       Did Fury seriously just say Carol? "How the fuck is Spencer's ex- girlfriend suppose to have clear judgement?" I say, only kind of trying to hide my rage.

      "Wait. You're that Spencer?" Fury says, genuinely shocked.

   "Um, yes?" She says a little unsure.

   "Damn. You really did a number on Carol, you know? I happen to care.."

   "Fury. It's fine. We've talked. I appreciate it, but we're all good now. Spencer's a good one," Carol speaks up.

     I watch as Spencer sends her a grateful smile.

     Carol smiles back with a nod.

   "Well, okay. If she's okay with it, I am. Can I ask how you dated two avengers and still hid the Ghost?" Fury blurts out.

   "You know what.."

   "You're pushing it, Nick.."

    Carol and I both went to talk at the same time. Realizing his mistake, Fury just put his hands up and said 'sorry.'

"Um, to be fair, I was very good at what I was doing. And I only left Carol because of what I was.. I knew she deserved more than me. And I had gotten my shit together more and was done being the Ghost by the time I met Nat," Spencer explains, smiling at me as she does. My heart flutters at the sight.

   "Huh. Well, alright. Sounds like you two made up. So I see no reason why she shouldn't still accompany you to get the stone."

   "Oh, fuck no. Seriously Fury? If she can, I certainly can." Why the fuck is he so against me going with Spencer?

"Romanoff. Outside, please," Fury asks.

   I just stand up and silently walk to the door, followed by Fury.

   I'm immediately ready to stand my ground on this. "I don't know if you're just fucking with me, Nick, but I really don't get why you think my girlfriends ex girlfriend would be better to assist my girlfriend to get the stone, than me, her girlfriend." Yeah, I know I excessively used girlfriend, but I'm trying to get a point across here.

"Nat, I have a good reason here, okay? Can I explain it?" He tries to calm me down.

    I'm still on edge, but I want to know why he's making such a dumbass mistake. "Fine."

"Like you said. You are her girlfriend. If something happens, she's going to be focused on you.."

    I stop him in his tracks already because this is shit, "first of all, why wouldn't she do that? Why wouldn't you want her to? And if you think she wouldn't also protect Carol, you're an idiot."

"Okay. I would want her to focus on you. She should do that. I expect her to protect you. Nat, you are incredible. You are the best agent I have. But you are also human. Spencer isn't. She has powers. To an extent we may not even know. She has already held onto an infinity stone and survived."

   I take a deep breath taking in what he's saying. Because it makes sense, unfortunately.

"You know if it came down to it, you would be her priority. Which, you should be. But what if something happens with the stone? Would you want her to sacrifice herself?"

   "Well no.. but why are you so sure something is going to go wrong?!" The anger is building back up.

   "I don't. But it is my job to try and prepare for the worst. She is injured now because I didn't make sure everything with the last mission was accounted for. I'm not doing that again!" Fury shouts. But more out of anger at himself rather than me.